Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Bad Gas" -- WTF and gloat

Tim Wescott on Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:11:40 -0800
I needed to replace bulbs in the shop lights above my '63 Suburban.
This thing's been sitting there for just about ever, while I got more
interested in building planes than wrenching on trucks.

It hadn't run for months, other than occasionally turning it over to
keep the carburettor wet. I had tried rather hard to start it about 6-9
months ago, and utterly failed. So today I was getting ready to
duct-tape a 3-gallon boat tank to the damn thing and just get it
running. Before I did I decided to go ahead and play with ether and gas
down it's little mechanical gullet -- and damned if it not only started,
but kept on running! This is kind of a mechanical marvel, because the
gas that's in the tank is more kerosene than gasoline.

So, anyway, I got it pulled out of the shop, tickled my fear of heights
by replacing bulbs in my lights (14 feet off the ground -- god, I hate
doing that), and got it back in (after it quit, and I had another mild
session of flogging it with raw gas and ether).

So, I'm (a) happy that I got the job done, and that maybe it's not as
bad as I thought, and (b) puzzled as heck as to why it works _now_!

It is November, and Thanksgiving is coming. It doesn't want you
to think it is a turkey that you can kill, gut, and bake at 350.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich