Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default scrap metal

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:35:46 +0000, (A.Lee) wrote:

No real need to separate brass and copper. Pure copper gets a slightly
better price, though for small amounts it isnt worth bothering with.
I've never separated any of mine.

By now I guess the OP has been to the scrap yard but my experience was
that for copper it is definitely worth a visit but less so for other
metals. I think I was told they pay one hundred pounds a tonne for
steel, so you need an awful lot before you get much money. Any amount
is better than nothing, which you'd get if you used your bin or the
tip, so if it is close by or en route, it is still worth popping in.

I'm not a fan of those commercial types with weigh bridges as I found
they were not geared up to accept small domestic weights of things and
the one by me seemed to have scrap all over the place which seemed to
be a puncture waiting to happen. It's no good getting a few pounds for
metal and then having to spend sixty times as much on new tyres.

I once took various "bare" copper pipes but inadvertently left a lock
shield on the end of one and the *~!@ gave me the lower rate because
it had brass on. It wouldn't have hurt them to weight that piece
separately!

HTH