Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default Self-Repair Manifesto

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:28:29 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:34:59 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Nearly anything man-made can be repaired.

Yes, but it might not be worth fixing, especially if a replacement is
low cost. I constantly run into problems spending inordinate amounts
of time fixing some trivial device. Sure, it can be fixed, but I
can't build a business on such repairs.

Are you not contradicting yourself here?

No. I'm a compulsive repairman. Everything I see needs to be fixed.
If I can't fix it, it needs to be re-engineered. Everything can be
designed or built better. Spending my time on such efforts is not
particular profitable, but neither are most other hobbies. If I
wanted to get rich quick, it wouldn't be in the repair biz (unless I
was fixing something really expensive and exotic).

Jeff, sorry but, you REALLY lost me. Who wrote "Yes, but it might be not
worth fixing ...."

You seem to be one who is facing a new reality that is very distasteful and
is thrashing about both internally and externally (your rants here).

Again, sorry, not trying to bust your crotch as we actually agree as to the
fundamental issue (which is the disregard for waste and recycling issues
caused by modern manufacturing methods). I also like fixing things and do
it when I can and am mostly frustrated these days.

However, in the USA at least, the latest and the greatest has become the
mantra for most folks with bucks to spend. Heck, they send stuff to the
recycling center that works just fine because they want the new bells and
whistles. Sigh!