Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default SK hand tool, sadness and silliness abounds

On 11/18/2010 05:38 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus5827 wrote:

Pretty much everyone over there is shocked at this. I was, too. It
reminded of of the Soviet Union, where that sort of waste abounded and
"not giving a ****" was the new religion. The only difference was that
in the Soviet Union, all that stuff would certainly be stolen there,
and here I am sure that everyone honestly played their part and
everything that was supposed to be destroyed, would be destroyed.

Sadly this has been going on forever in the US.

When I was a kid, the telephone company installed
a new dial switching center and junked the manual
system. Every relay, tube, patch panel and power
supply was smashed before it was auctioned off to
the scrapmonger.

The most cringe-worthy one for me is the Lockheed "Little Dipper".
Lockheed decided to hedge their bets after WWII, and developed a nifty
little two-place low wing general aviation plane. Private aviation
slumped instead of booming, and the cold war made missiles an on-going
profitable concern, so they canceled the program.

They broke the prototype up for scrap, over the screams of protest from
numerous engineers who wanted to take it home.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services