Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hex head vs hex socket head

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:09:20 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Nov 18, 7:20Â*pm, Winston wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

(...)

and replacing all the phillips head screws with socket-
head screws. Both were totally cosmetic, but hey, if the jerks
^H^H^H^H^H customers were willing to pay...

I have yet to 'cam out' my first hex socket head
cap screw. Â*Phillips are a different story however.

--Winston -- Helix'ed a few Allen wrenches though.

It was (and I suppose still is) standard procedure to use a hammer/
impact driver on those screws. Virtually impossible to cam out when
you've hit it with a BFH.

Virtually?
I have "hogged out" phillips and posidrive screws with a hammer impact
driver. Does that count? The head ended up with a nice conical
depression in the center. Worked good as a center drill to start /
center the drill to drill the head off.