Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default I never throw anything away

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:02:54 -0500, Bill who putters wrote:
Some times it looks like my garage is cluttered but those old bolts etc
can be used in other ways. Do you never throw out stuff especially if
is has possible multiple use options? Guess it could be called part
saving. Funny I save no electronic stuff with the exception of various
cables but find the connectors keep changing like UBS or firewall. Sort
of makes recycling harder for sure.

Yeah, I keep pretty much everything. I've got my scrap wood piles, my
scrap metal piles, my scrap electronics pile etc. - I manage to keep it
pretty well sorted (with different piles for different size things, too),
and am lucky in that I've got a few sheds and big storage areas. It's
surprising how often I dig into them to fix something that's broken.

The frustrating thing is that I moved overseas a few years back, and
still have similar piles in (free, thankfully) storage abroad - I keep
putting off the day when I suspect I'm simply going to have to dump them.
Plus it's really annoying when I know that I have something that I could
use to fix something else, but it's 4000 miles away (the electronics are
the worst for that - I'm not in a high-tech area here, but I've got boxes
and boxes of scrap/salvaged components in overseas storage)

cheers

Jules