Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hex head vs hex socket head

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:22:38 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:47:04 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
writes:

rangerssuck wrote:
(...)

and replacing all the phillips head screws with socket-
head screws. Both were totally cosmetic, but hey, if the jerks
^H^H^H^H^H customers were willing to pay...

I have yet to 'cam out' my first hex socket head
cap screw. Phillips are a different story however.

I despise Phillips head screws. Try taking out the one on a
Salt Belt car's headlight rim...^%(*%^%^^(^

Try a paste of Comet Cleaner and water applied to
the grooves before putting the driver in. And use
new high-quality drivers.

I bought some Philips drivers that have laser-cut "teeth" so they
bite in on the sides. Better than nothing.

I like the PoziDrive type screws which can take either Phillips or
Square drivers. Of the many types of Phillips screw heads, I adore
the ACR drives. They damnear prevent camout...while they're fresh.

I prefer Torx; one of the very few good inventions of Generous Motors.

And Robertson, of course, especially with the genuine hardened bits.

Ditto both.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.