Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default PoziDrive Screws: Was Hex head vs hex socket head

--Winston -- Helix'ed a few Allen wrenches though.

I have had a SHCS cam out as it must have been abused in the past and
the socket was damaged. Tried everything including a lever to force the
bit into the socket but it was always ejected, new sections cut from new
Allen keys no use, hex drive bits no use, Went down the pub that evening
to forget it and came back the next day with a carbide burr in a die
grinder to remove the head, once it was removed the thread unscrewed by
hand as the thread was clean and not binding and could be undone with
your fingers. Not so used to Phillips in the UK as PoziDrive is much
more common. Also would have to check the spelling as the European
Philips maybe confused with phillips, any relation?.

There a LOT of PoziDriv screws used in the US as well, but an amazingly
small number of people who have even heard the name[1], and even fewer
that can identify one. Only 5% of those remaining actually have and use
PoziDriv drivers. At last count, it was me, and four others spread
across all of N America.[2]

It's too bad, PoziDriv screws used with the correct driver work
wonderfully! But a regular Phillips bit in a PoziDriv plays hell with
both fastener and driver... especially if any torque is involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidrive#Pozidrive

Erik

[1] I jumped on a $nap-On truck a several years back, and asked about
PoziDriv bits and drivers... he looked at me like I was from Mars. He
didn't look like a new guy dither, maybe 50 years old, and his truck,
while both clean and well stocked, had definitely seen years of use.

[2] With the possible exception of Canada... I hear they use a lot of
Robertson head screws up there. In my limited experience, they also seem
to work very well.