Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Hex head vs hex socket head

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:25:06 -0800, Jim
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
On 11/18/2010 09:37 AM, Andre Majorel wrote:
Assuming no counterbore and space is not a problem, how do you
choose between hex head and hex socket head ?

I've noticed that hex head screws are commonly available up to
property class 8.8 while hex socket head screws go up to 12.9.
Why is that ?

Socket head screws are higher tech, and look more impressive. All the
racers will think better of you if you use socket head screws _everywhere_.

But you'll have to get some wrenches, 'cause vice-grips don't work as
well on socket-head screws.

What Tim said. And SHCS's require far less tool
clearance.

And a set of wrenches that fits from #0 thru 1/2" screws costs less
than $20 and fits in your back pocket.

Slightly off-topic...

There's lots of hardcore biking where I live and the
$100 seats are theft targets. The bicycle shops have
been supergluing a bearing ball in the head of the
SHCS that tightens the seat clamp to discourage casual
theft. Hitting the SHCS with a torch for a few seconds
causes the ball to drop out.