Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

On Nov 18, 12:34*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Nov 18, 9:41*am, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 06:33:43 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

For our friend considering a 32" TV, I'd say the difference beween
720P and either 1080i or p isn't going to be noticeable on that size
display.

Or on any TV up to 50" depending on how far away you are sitting from
the TV.

Many people can't readily tell the difference between a page of text
printed at 600 dpi from one printed at 1200 dpi. Other people see a
big difference.

Claiming that there is no difference between 720p and 1080p because
YOU, or even thousands of people, can't tell the difference, is just
foolish talk. Maybe you just can't see as well as other people, or
maybe you just aren't as critical a viewer.

Excuse me, but I thought the OP came here precisely for the reason of
asking what other people thought and what their experiences had
been. * As for being a critical viewer, if you do a bit of googling
you will find plenty of actual side by side comparison testing done by
credible authorities in the AV world that will agree with what I and
Ron and many others have said. *Particularly since the OP is talking
about a 32" TV, not a 50" one.

A small diffence may be all that matters to people who want that small
difference, because they appreciate the slight extra measure of
quality.

Then I guess the OP should set up a blind testing lab, because that's
the only way he's going to be able to see if he can actually tell the
difference. *Somehow I don't think he's gonna do that, nor does he
appear to be an AV enthusiast concerned about a small potential
difference.

I'd venture that most people who own 720 can't tell the difference, and
most people who own 1080 can. The only debate left is whether the
distinction (or lack thereof) became apparent before or after the
purchase. Ain't that the way humans work?

And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers
and Monster Cable, right?