Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

On Nov 18, 9:41*am, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 06:33:43 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

For our friend considering a 32" TV, I'd say the difference beween
720P and either 1080i or p isn't going to be noticeable on that size
display.

Or on any TV up to 50" depending on how far away you are sitting from
the TV.

Many people can't readily tell the difference between a page of text
printed at 600 dpi from one printed at 1200 dpi. Other people see a
big difference.

Claiming that there is no difference between 720p and 1080p because
YOU, or even thousands of people, can't tell the difference, is just
foolish talk. Maybe you just can't see as well as other people, or
maybe you just aren't as critical a viewer.

Excuse me, but I thought the OP came here precisely for the reason of
asking what other people thought and what their experiences had
been. As for being a critical viewer, if you do a bit of googling
you will find plenty of actual side by side comparison testing done by
credible authorities in the AV world that will agree with what I and
Ron and many others have said. Particularly since the OP is talking
about a 32" TV, not a 50" one.

A small diffence may be all that matters to people who want that small
difference, because they appreciate the slight extra measure of
quality.

Then I guess the OP should set up a blind testing lab, because that's
the only way he's going to be able to see if he can actually tell the
difference. Somehow I don't think he's gonna do that, nor does he
appear to be an AV enthusiast concerned about a small potential
difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Bill Gill wrote:

Well, as said, at the store compare the TVs before you buy. I'm just
reporting what people have said after careful testing.

Bill

Testing done at 10-12', not exactly the distance from which most
computer monitors are viewed, and certainly not all TVs. I thought my
Sony Wega widescreen had a pretty sharp image until I started watching
football with it pulled up to 6' from the sofa.

You could say most women look about the same from 3 blocks away, too,
but that doesn't make them the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

I'd venture that most people who own 720 can't tell the difference, and
most people who own 1080 can. The only debate left is whether the
distinction (or lack thereof) became apparent before or after the
purchase. Ain't that the way humans work?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 12:34*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers
and Monster Cable, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Ron wrote:

And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers
and Monster Cable, right?

Nope. Monster Cable is snake oil. Picture resolution is, uh, about as
plain as science and math gets. I was just pointing out the obvious:
humans disregard science and math in favor of emotion and snake oil.

No reasonable human being can possibly claim that 720 lines of
resolution are in any way equal to 1080 lines of resolution. It is so
utterly nonsensical that the fact that it's being debated is a tragic
indictment of human intelligence.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

[...]

Opinions are not facts. That needed to be pointed out.

There is a factual and scientifically supportable difference between
720p and 1080p. The fact that you either can't tell the difference, or
don't think it is important, are subjective opinions, not objective
facts.

OK, post this scientific evidence that says that the human eye can
distinguish the difference on the same brand of TV with the only
difference being that one is a 720 and the other is a 1080. Using the
same source, and from a distance of 10-12 ft on a 50" or smaller
screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 12:54*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:
And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers
and Monster Cable, right?

Nope. Monster Cable is snake oil. Picture resolution is, uh, about as
plain as science and math gets. I was just pointing out the obvious:
humans disregard science and math in favor of emotion and snake oil.

No reasonable human being can possibly claim that 720 lines of
resolution are in any way equal to 1080 lines of resolution. It is so
utterly nonsensical that the fact that it's being debated is a tragic
indictment of human intelligence.

Again, it depends on the viewing distance!!!!!! What is so hard to
understand about that?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*Ron wrote:
And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers
and Monster Cable, right?

Nope. Monster Cable is snake oil. Picture resolution is, uh, about as
plain as science and math gets. I was just pointing out the obvious:
humans disregard science and math in favor of emotion and snake oil.

No reasonable human being can possibly claim that 720 lines of
resolution are in any way equal to 1080 lines of resolution. It is so
utterly nonsensical that the fact that it's being debated is a tragic
indictment of human intelligence.

Again, it depends on the viewing distance!!!!!! What is so hard to
understand about that?????

Of course it depends on the viewing distance. Why not go back to your
old 27" RCA console from 1962, and just look at it from down the block?

Everything depends on the viewing distance: paint quality on your wall
or car, cleanliness of the frying pan, curd size of the cottage cheese
in Aunt Mabel's panties.

Saying the pictures look the same as long as you're far enough away to
not be able to notice a difference hardly qualifies as a legitimate
argument. What is so hard to understand about that?????
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 1:11*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

Ron wrote:
[...]

I give up. It's your money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 11:51 AM, Judi Haffner wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:42:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In ,
(Judi Haffner) wrote:

When someone posts through Homeowners
Hub, they aren't making a sales pitch.

Like hell they're not. Every post from there is *nothing but* a sales
pitch, whether the poster knows it or not.

Not even slightly true.

Mormons top post because they are morally and spiritually superior to
you.

All christians believe themselves so, as do members of every other
religion. Mormons are no more idiotic than the rest of the lot.

http://www.venganza.org/

Judi, are you a Pastafarian too? You know we're not to reveal ourselves
out of fear of being sauced and consumed. 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Ron wrote:

I give up. It's your money.

It ain't my money. My TV is a 10 yr. old CRT that I swiped from my
aunt's house when she croaked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:27*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:

I give up. It's your money.

It ain't my money. My TV is a 10 yr. old CRT that I swiped from my
aunt's house when she croaked.

Check your tv manual, I have 2, 8 yr old tvs, one takes 720p and the
other 1080i, but neither have an hd tuner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:42*am, Ron wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:04*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Nov 18, 10:23*am, Ron wrote:

On Nov 18, 10:09*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

wrote:

For our friend considering a 32" TV, I'd say the difference beween
720P and either 1080i or p isn't going to be noticeable on that size
display.

Or on any TV up to 50" depending on how far away you are sitting from
the TV.

Many people can't readily tell the difference between a page of text
printed at 600 dpi from one printed at 1200 dpi. Other people see a
big difference.

Claiming that there is no difference between 720p and 1080p because
YOU, or even thousands of people, can't tell the difference, is just
foolish talk. Maybe you just can't see as well as other people, or
maybe you just aren't as critical a viewer.

A small diffence may be all that matters to people who want that small
difference, because they appreciate the slight extra measure of
quality.

Yeah, and all of the reviews I've read agree with me. At best the
difference is minimal, and not noticeable with the human eye.

Clearly you are blind. *I have a sony 1080p tv. *I can easily tell the
diffference between a blu ray movie at 1080p and any of the lower
resolutions sitting in our family room.

Oh, so you have a 720p TV sitting right next to your 1080p for
comparison while viewing a Blu-ray with the same source material.

You obviously haven't read what I wrote. Try again.- Hide quoted text -

You said;

"I have a 50" Panasonic 720 Plasma. My neighbor has a 50" LG 1080
Plasma. We both sit about 11 ft away from our TVs. There is NO
noticeable resolution difference, period. Sounds like you bought the
Best Buy sales pitch."

I'm watching the same tv at different resolutions. *And at 1080p the
picture is clearly better than at 720p.

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080
TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than
720p.........sheesh.- Hide quoted text -

He doesn't understand the difference between the source resolution and
the native resolution of the display. Watching 720P on a 1080P
display is not the same thing as watching 720P on a display that has a
maximum resolution of 720P.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 1:41*pm, ransley wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:51*am, Ron wrote:

Take a Panny 50" 720 Plasma and a Panny 50" 1080 Plasma that are equal
models (expect for the resolution of course). *Hook them both up to a
Blu-ray player with the same source viewed from 10 ft or father away
and there will be no noticeable difference.

Broadcast tv is 720p, so you are saying broadcast tv equals blue ray
on a 1080p plasma at 10 ft? I find that impossible to believe.

No that's not what I'm saying. I can't be any more clear than I was
above.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 1:27*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Ron wrote:

I give up. It's your money.

It ain't my money. My TV is a 10 yr. old CRT that I swiped from my
aunt's house when she croaked.

You don't even OWN an HDTV and you are "debating" this? Hilarious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Ron wrote:

I give up. It's your money.

It ain't my money. My TV is a 10 yr. old CRT that I swiped from my
aunt's house when she croaked.

You don't even OWN an HDTV and you are "debating" this? Hilarious.

Ron, I understand what you are saying. A 1080p TV can not render the
same quality 720p picture as a 720p only, TV can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You didn't say anything about the same source. The word source isn't
in your comment anywhere.

If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't
help any to have a 1080p capable display.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 2:50*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:42*am, Ron wrote:

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080
TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than
720p.........sheesh.

You didn't say anything about the same source. * The word source isn't
in your comment anywhere.

If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't
help any to have a 1080p capable display.

If the source being viewed is 1080p (Blu-ray) on a 50" 720 TV from
10-12 ft away, it's going to look the same as it would on a 50" 1080
TV from 10-12 ft away. It's only going to look better on the 1080 as
you move closer to the TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:42*am, Ron wrote:

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080
TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than
720p.........sheesh.

You didn't say anything about the same source. * The word source isn't
in your comment anywhere.

If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't
help any to have a 1080p capable display.

If the source being viewed is 1080p (Blu-ray) on a 50" 720 TV from
10-12 ft away, it's going to look the same as it would on a 50" 1080
TV from 10-12 ft away. It's only going to look better on the 1080 as
you move closer to the TV.

You keep telling yourself that while I watch my bluray movies and play
my ps3 at 1080p.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 11:42*am, Ron wrote:

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080
TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than
720p.........sheesh.

You didn't say anything about the same source. * The word source isn't
in your comment anywhere.

If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't
help any to have a 1080p capable display.

If the source being viewed is 1080p (Blu-ray) on a 50" 720 TV from
10-12 ft away, it's going to look the same as it would on a 50" 1080
TV from 10-12 ft away. It's only going to look better on the 1080 as
you move closer to the TV.

You keep telling yourself that while I watch my bluray movies and play
my ps3 at 1080p.

I don't have to tell myself anything. It is well documented by many
reputable sources all over the web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*Ron wrote:

I give up. It's your money.

It ain't my money. My TV is a 10 yr. old CRT that I swiped from my
aunt's house when she croaked.

You don't even OWN an HDTV and you are "debating" this? Hilarious.

Who said I didn't own an HDTV? All I said was mine didn't involve
spending money, and it isn't an LCD. I did misrepresent the age,
however: It was actually manufactured in July of 2004. But I'm happy to
have amused you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:09:15 -0500, LouB wrote:

My motto when in stores: Don't trust nothing what eats

An excellent summary. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Oh, ye who are much smarter than *&&^%$) Verizon (if one can ever
reach a "human'):

1. I may have to break down and buy a new 32"TV -- which I hate to
do, given the small number of channels I watch out of the gazillion
available.

Am in throes of trying to understand the pros & cons of LCD vs LED.
The little research I have done on-line, e.g. http://
www.ledvslcdtv.com/ as well as others, has left me more confused than
ever.

I don't want to spend "x" today if the technology is going to take a
quantum leap tomorrow.

Your thoughts on Led vs Lcd welcome.

2. A supposedly knowledgeable friend told me that paying more for a
1080 pixels TV is justified only if images are transmitted in 1080.
Can images be transmitted either way? Or is it a function of the
receiver? (Showing my ignorance g)

Your thoughts on 1080 vs 720 greatly appreciated.

HB

You've received great advice.

As you've read, LED is simply backlighting in the LCD TVs. Normal
backlighting used fluorescent tubes and had a lower contrast ration. LED
offers a brighter screen and higher contrast ration.

Oops..."ratio"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:42*am, Ron wrote:

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080
TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than
720p.........sheesh.

You didn't say anything about the same source. * The word source isn't
in your comment anywhere.

If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't
help any to have a 1080p capable display.

If the source being viewed is 1080p (Blu-ray) on a 50" 720 TV from
10-12 ft away, it's going to look the same as it would on a 50" 1080
TV from 10-12 ft away. It's only going to look better on the 1080 as
you move closer to the TV.

I must have great eyes, but sitting closer is not a bad idea. You
really need to be less than 10ft away with 1080p and 50" to apreciate
it best. A 50" might be 45" wide across, for 3d 1.4-1.7 x width is
best and thats means sitting 6ft away.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 18, 11:42*am, Ron wrote:

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080
TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than
720p.........sheesh.

You didn't say anything about the same source. * The word source isn't
in your comment anywhere.

If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't
help any to have a 1080p capable display.

If the source being viewed is 1080p (Blu-ray) on a 50" 720 TV from
10-12 ft away, it's going to look the same as it would on a 50" 1080
TV from 10-12 ft away. It's only going to look better on the 1080 as
you move closer to the TV.

I must have great eyes, but sitting closer is not a bad idea. You
really need to be less than 10ft away with 1080p and 50" to apreciate
it best. A 50" might be 45" wide across, for 3d 1.4-1.7 x width *is
best and thats means sitting 6ft away.

And you have a nice HT system like I do, sitting any closer would
completely ruin the sound stage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote

I have two HD sets, a 32" 720 and a 47" 1080. The picture quality is
equal.
At 32" you don't really need the 1080. Depending on location and space
available, bigger really is better. We have the 32" in the bedroom, the
larger in the family room.

Do you mean your one set is 1080i or 1080p, only blue ray and maybe
some sattelites can do 1080p, 1080 p is better

It will do I or P depending the the signal received.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
If you can get a 30
day price guaranty

Completely useless. Manufacturers have been creating private model
numbers for retailers for decades.

That's true to some extent, but it doesn't make every price guarantee
useless. I've seen many stores caring the exact same models. I've
also seen what you're talking about. The bottom line is, depending
on what TV you actually buy, the price guarantee could be useful.

All right, I concede that it's conceivable that the same store could
carry the same model 30 days later. Still, everyone who's ever bought
something and then price-shopped it for the next 30 days, please stand
up.

I'm standing

What don't you understand? You've never gone back to the same store 30 days
later? It was a big selling point for some of the electronics sellers that
if they drop prices up to 30 days later, they will give you a refund.
Makes a lot of sense because sales are lost when a customer is ready to buy
and thinks "I'll wait to see if it is one sale for the XXX holiday" and he
either never returns or goes elsewhere next week. The LG that I paid $830
for was on marked down to $790 a few weeks later and is probably even down
more now. Same exact set. Am I sorry? No, because I've been enjoying it
all along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

I'm not really a consumer. I rarely buy things new. When I do, I pay the
money and go home. I don't join supermarket clubs, or clip coupons. I
really don't care that much how much something costs; if I need it or
want it badly enough I buy it for whatever price is asked at the time.

(I actually got 86'ed at a grocery store for telling the manager I
didn't want to be ****ed in the ass at the cash register just because I
didn't want to join their stupid club.)

I remember standing in line with a shovel once, and the lady ahead of me
in line said I could get a much less expensive shovel at a different
store. My dead dog was at home, waiting to be planted, so I wasn't in
the mood to price shop. But as I said, I'm rarely in that mood anyway. I
would never go back to a store to see if they'd lowered the price on
something I already had.

So thanks for an alternative viewpoint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

As I was paying for my TV, an elderly man was buying a 27" TV and the
salesman got him to take the Monster cables. I bet the cables cost a
quarter or a third of what the TV cost. And the profit they made on
the cable far exceeds what they made on the TV.

So, who knows what they would do in a store to push a specific model
TV that has a spiff in it for the salesman.

If you need HDMI cables, go to Amazon and buy the $4 ones. They works as
well as the $30+ cords. When I had my DirecTV setup, the installer left me
a couple of extras also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you need HDMI cables, go to Amazon and buy the $4 ones. They
works as well as the $30+ cords. When I had my DirecTV setup, the
installer left me a couple of extras also.

Avoid Monster Cable. Get Blue Jean cable. Here's why:

" I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically
operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation,
expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a
quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing
agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to
convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be
clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me.
You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain
a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. "

Read the whole thing:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...s-strikes-back

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

A great letter. I've saved a copy for "boiler plating" in the future. I
really, really would like to see the outrageous and nonsensical claims
Monster has been making for year dealt with in court with expert witnesses
who would tear them a new output port. Sadly, I have friends that believe
that paying 10 times what a cable is worth makes it somehow ten times
better. )-:

I'm guessing if Monster is stupid enough to proceed, they might very well
end up having to admit, in court, that they are 98% hype and nothing more.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2010 2:19 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
m...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't your electrons rather travel in luxury? Contented audio signals
produce superior sound when they don't have to fight their
way down an impure copper pathway and traverse anything but the
most luxurious gold plated connections.

Dang! I should write copy for Monster Cable! 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 11/19/2010 2:19 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
m...

"

[...]

My favorite monsterism is marking the cables to indicate optimum electron
flow.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Wouldn't your electrons rather travel in luxury? Contented audio signals
produce superior sound when they don't have to fight their
way down an impure copper pathway and traverse anything but the
most luxurious gold plated connections.

Dang! I should write copy for Monster Cable! 8-)

Monster Cable's hype is peanuts compared to some of the audiophile
stuff. Pick yourself up a copy of The Absolute Sound and you'll find ads
for things like a $1500 gadget to "burn in" your new cables before you
use them. Saves you waiting several months for them to "burn in" under
normal use. Of course, they're talking about cables that cost 10 to 100
times what Monster charges. When cables are that good, you can't
possibly get the most from them until they've formed themselves to the
music.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

It's worse. Monster Cable even threatened to sue one "Vermonster Day Care"
for using the trademarked word in their name!
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...03446477.shtml