Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chet Chet is offline

Default Bowling ball muller?

The carver I built is based on rotating a 5 gal bucket with 1/2 hp motor
using belts to reduce the rpms...
A frame holds a shaft with a pair of curved 'carvers' that can be adjusted
in height.
At first I really liked the system because you can mix the sand and clay and
get a great mix.
You then add water until the 'green sand' starts forming in sheets.
A compression test at this point reveals good detail and a clean break.
But using the carver for reconditioning is a different story... too much
clumping and stalling...

"Snag" wrote in message
Chet wrote:
Thanks, Snag.
Checked it out...
Looks like the wrong way to go...

"Snag" wrote in message
Chet wrote:
I've run into a problem with easily re-conditioning my foundry
sand... I've been using a mini-carver design for fresh batches, but
it's nearly useless for reconditioning.
I'm toying with using a bowling ball in a regular cement mixer with
the vanes removed.
Anybody here have some actual experience????
Replacing the exact right amount of water after a pour seems more of
an art than a science...
So far I'm an expert on too much or too little... just right remains
elusive...
Chet

Check out the archives at the yahoo group castinghobby . This
subject has been mulled over repeatedly ... pun intended .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Which carver do you have ? There are plans out there for a blade type made
from an old propane tank , which I intend to build when I have both time
and inclination .

--
Snag
Learning keeps