Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default Ryobi Planer - AP 10

On Nov 15, 7:39*am, "Leon" wrote:
"lzoto" wrote in message

On Nov 14, 11:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

lzoto wrote:
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

If everything moves freely by hand, you should be okay.

Then, give it the old "smoke test" - turn it on and see if it smokes.

I just picked up a used one - it's my first and it works swell. The first
time you use it, do so in the driveway. The think makes an unbelievable
amount of shavings. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. So much so that one of
my cats who was watching the experiement, ambled off shaking his head.

You can get an aftermarket shaving collector into which you can plug your
dust collector with really good results.

Thank you for your input. *He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. *It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

FWIW I, 22 years ago I paid $289. *I would not pay more than $50-$75 for it.
There are way too many alternatives on the market today, for a little bit
more money they will come with a warranty and many more features.

IIRC, Home Depot recently had the DeWalt DW735 on sale for something
like $275.

Better deals are out there. I agree: for less than $100 ... I might
get the Ryobi ... but at $200 ??

I'd be doing that cat-shaking-head-while-walking-away thing.