Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ryobi Planer - AP 10

I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote in news:d7741170-ceca-4e93-a9ae-91f24c4910d4
@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com:

I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

One common issue is old lube. Sometimes it'll set up and be more like
glue than lubrication. Don't take the planer apart more than you have
to, but check that the accessible parts move freely and aren't stuck in
place.

When testing electronics for the first time, I like to use a power strip
with an on/off switch. I turn the device on from the power strip and if
anything goes wrong my thumb is still on the switch to shut power off
immediately.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote:
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

If everything moves freely by hand, you should be okay.

Then, give it the old "smoke test" - turn it on and see if it smokes.

I just picked up a used one - it's my first and it works swell. The first
time you use it, do so in the driveway. The think makes an unbelievable
amount of shavings. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. So much so that one of
my cats who was watching the experiement, ambled off shaking his head.

You can get an aftermarket shaving collector into which you can plug your
dust collector with really good results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 14, 11:35*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
lzoto wrote:
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. *I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. *Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

If everything moves freely by hand, you should be okay.

Then, give it the old "smoke test" - turn it on and see if it smokes.

I just picked up a used one - it's my first and it works swell. The first
time you use it, do so in the driveway. The think makes an unbelievable
amount of shavings. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. So much so that one of
my cats who was watching the experiement, ambled off shaking his head.

You can get an aftermarket shaving collector into which you can plug your
dust collector with really good results.

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.
Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote in
:

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

Careful... Once you see how much better consistent thickness boards look
and assemble, you'll begin every project with the planer. Since I got my
planer, the only thing I've put together without dimensioning first has
been one-off jigs and things where it doesn't matter how thick the boards
are.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote:
[...]

Talk him down to $100 and you have yourself a deal. I got a lightly
used Griz 13" planer for that and it came with an extra set of blades.

I don't feel it's worth $200. YMMV?

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote:
[...]

Hmm. I got mine for $100 from a Craigslist ad. Admittedly, I had been
monitoring CL for a couple of months 'til I found this low-priced item.

In my case, patience paid off. Your needs may vary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
lzoto wrote in
:

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

Careful... Once you see how much better consistent thickness boards
look and assemble, you'll begin every project with the planer. Since
I got my planer, the only thing I've put together without
dimensioning first has been one-off jigs and things where it doesn't
matter how thick the boards are.

Good idea! And a provident use for a tool that spends most of its time
waiting to be of service.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"lzoto" wrote in message
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

I bought one in 1988 and finally sold it in a garage sale earlier this year.
I stepped up to a 15" stationary unit.
You have IIRC the "Original" bench top planer. It is almost bullet proof.
It does have certain problems that were common back then and with less
expensive planers today. Snipe can be an issue and it is limited to 10". I
would think that if you can rotate the cutter head by hand it will run just
fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote:
[...]

FWIW I, 22 years ago I paid $289. I would not pay more than $50-$75 for it.
There are way too many alternatives on the market today, for a little bit
more money they will come with a warranty and many more features.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

That seems high to me. I think $100 would be a fair price. Yes, it's
"new", but the newer planers are wider, snipe less, have better dust
collection, more power, etc..

That said, I've got one I bought in the '80s and it's still running. So
it is a good quality tool. I've heard the current Ryobi tools aren't
what they used to be.

I recently bought a small thickness planer and now use it for the final
32nd of an inch or so - the AP10, like any planer, will cause a little
tearout on some woods and the sanding gets rid of that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 14, 7:58*pm, lzoto wrote:
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. *I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. *Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

That is a pretty good machine, almost legendary. I owned its younger
cousin the 12-1/4" machine for about 13-15 years and just passed it on
to our son after I bought a heavier duty 15" planer.

But..... $200 seems high even if it is "new". Are you certain it is
new and not just cleaned up and in the box again. If truly new, and
you don't think you will want to plane wider stock it might be ok in
the $150-200 range but there are a lot of wider planers out there now.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 1:32*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:
Thank you for your input. *He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

That seems high to me. *I think $100 would be a fair price. *Yes, it's
"new", but the newer planers are wider, snipe less, have better dust
collection, more power, etc..

That said, I've got one I bought in the '80s and it's still running. *So
it is a good quality tool. *I've heard the current Ryobi tools aren't
what they used to be.

*I recently bought a small thickness planer and now use it for the final
32nd of an inch or so - the AP10, like any planer, will cause a little
tearout on some woods and the sanding gets rid of that.

I thought it should be $100 or less, but I have to say that I am
attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with
newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the
grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"lzoto" wrote in message
[...]

Well, when the smoke clears it is still a Ryobi, one of their best products
as far as I am convcerned but the age attraction is not necessirily a good
thing if you can no longer get parts for it. The rubber cutter head drive
belt might be in a bit dry after 25 years and you may not be able to find a
replacement. It was well build however, it had a point to prove.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 4:31*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"lzoto" wrote in message

[...]

Good point and also check the availability of knives. I am fairly
sure you can get parts for it from eReplacementParts.com. I also
know of a source in Wichita, KS that will sell Ryobi parts at a very
reasonable price; and they don't inflate their shipping and handling.
But their knives are also high (below).

During the past few years Ryobi has been slipping and their customer
support has gotten worse. When I bought my 12-1/4" machine knives
were about $15-18. A few years later they dropped them as a spare
part and aftermarkets were selling in the $60-90 range. That, plus
the age of the machine, was presenting me with a keep or buy
decision. Luckily, for me, Delta sells a set of knives for their
12-1/2" machine that fit fine.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 5:31*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"lzoto" wrote in message

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:
Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

He emailed me and he has a Grizzly 6" jointer, never used and in the
box from the same error. I am waiting for a price on that one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 00:14:09 -0800 (PST), lzoto wrote:

On Nov 15, 5:31*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"lzoto" wrote in message

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:
Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

He emailed me and he has a Grizzly 6" jointer, never used and in the
box from the same error. I am waiting for a price on that one.

I'm starting to get a baaaaad feeling from this...

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 5:31 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"lzoto" wrote in message

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:
Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

He emailed me and he has a Grizzly 6" jointer, never used and in the
box from the same error. *I am waiting for a price on that one.

I'm starting to get a baaaaad feeling from this...

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- J. K. Rowling

Why? I figured some elderly relative left him stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

lzoto wrote:
[...]

IIRC, Home Depot recently had the DeWalt DW735 on sale for something
like $275.

Better deals are out there. I agree: for less than $100 ... I might
get the Ryobi ... but at $200 ??

I'd be doing that cat-shaking-head-while-walking-away thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Neil Brooks wrote in
:

IIRC, Home Depot recently had the DeWalt DW735 on sale for something
like $275.

Better deals are out there. I agree: for less than $100 ... I might
get the Ryobi ... but at $200 ??

I'd be doing that cat-shaking-head-while-walking-away thing.

How recent was that? My DW735 was $535, and I thought I got a pretty
decent deal on it.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think I remember seeing a Ryobi bench top model at Home Depot today
for about $239.

The DeWalt was $399.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kimosabe wrote:
I think I remember seeing a Ryobi bench top model at Home Depot today
for about $239.

The DeWalt was $399.

Ryobi $180 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W8OVAU/...N=B000W 8OVAU

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 18, 7:58*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:
I think I remember seeing a Ryobi bench top model at Home Depot today
for about $239.

The DeWalt was $399.

Ryobi $180 at Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W8OVAU/...AU1324242?smid...

Cheaper and wider! I really appreciate all the input.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 05:02:46 -0800, lzoto wrote:

Cheaper and wider! I really appreciate all the input.

Read this review before you get carried away :-).

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...face-RapidSet-
ZRAP1301/product-reviews/B000W8OVAU/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_sr_1?
ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 18, 11:30*am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 05:02:46 -0800, lzoto wrote:

Cheaper and wider! *I really appreciate all the input.

Read this review before you get carried away :-).

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...face-RapidSet-
ZRAP1301/product-reviews/B000W8OVAU/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt_sr_1?
ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Yeah. And I would also say Whhooooooaa there pardner!. The newer
1300/1301 Ryobi's are not even a shadow of the old 10" machine you
originally posted. As mentioned in my earlier post I just passed my
old 12-1/2" Ryobi on to our son. My old machine was a close cousin to
the 10" Ryobi at least in weight and quality - IOW - built like a
tank. I have seen the new ones in HD and they are cheaply made
stuff. "Stuff" is better than what I was thinking. Ryobi's overall
quality and reputation have slid during the past 10-15 years on most
stuff except maybe their battery operated drills. In fact I don't
even believe that all of the new planers have infeed/outfeed tables.

I said earlier that the 10" 'er was probably priced too high. But I
would go with it before this one. As the reviews Larry posted shows
there were three opinions. Stinks, Middle Top. What do you conclude
from that? At least one guy wanted to justify his purchase. The
other too were not that happy :^&}

BTW, my neighbor has owned one of the Rigid 3-knifers for a while, and
he uses it a fair amount. Loves it. The reason I mention it is it
showed up at the bottom of the Amazon page Larry linked.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to lzoto, rene wrote:
Hi. I will buy it from you. Let me know if youre interested.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...10-310189-.htm