Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default chipboard bookcase

In message , Terry
Casey writes
In article ,
says...

The web site suggests that the shelf heights are adjustable but how do
they do that? The posts here say that they use metal dowel screws so
is it that the sides of the cupboards are drilled with holes and you
screw the dowel into the one at your desired height and then tighten a
dowel screw hidden on the underneath of the shelf? Sorry to ask. I
would answer my own question by going to have a look if they weren't
so far away.

Unfortunately I can't find a picture so I hope you can follow this

There is a series of blind holes in the sides. Simply choose the holes
for the height you require.

Not quite. There isn't a choice.

Special screws are inserted into blind holes and tightened (two each
side). (The majority of the screw protrudes from the side.)

The metal screw in 'dowels' only go into specific holes for the top,
bottom and middle shelf. The rest of the blind holes are used for the
little metal pins for the adjustable shelves.

A cam device is inserted into each hole so that it engages behind the
screw head, then rotated, which causes the screw to be pulled into the
shelf as far as possible, thus making the shelf/side joint very tight.
The cams fit flush with the shelf and are coloured to match.

None of mine have been colour matched. Used to be metal, now grey
plastic. But not really noticeable, as the bottom ones are hidden, the
top ones are on top and the middle ones under the shelf, so probably
only visible to someone 3 ft
--
Chris French