Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default How much to change a pullswitch?

On 16/11/2010 20:47, Clive George wrote:
On 16/11/2010 20:11, geoff wrote:

and against a Honda Fireblade? I don't think so

How do motorbike times on the ring compare to fast car ones? Nothing to
do with dennis, just wondering how much of a car you need to beat a
fireblade.

Quite a lot of car, and quite a lot of stupidity if you try it off a track.

Up to legal speeds a Fireblade will be traction limited. So will a BMW
M5, or a Ferrari, or many other powerful cars. But _most_ cars have far
lower power-to-weight ratios to most bikes.

If you have an average bike against an average car I would expect the
bike to be quicker, and I'd hope the biker would have the sense to pass
under acceleration - where he's probably got a 2:1 advantage - and not
under braking or cornering - where the car may have a small advantage.

A good car _will_ outbrake and outcorner any bike. Not by much, but it
will. Only supercars can keep up with Fireblades and such under
acceleration.

I had a little dig for Nürburgring lap times. They seem to be within
10% for the top cars and bikes, with really exotic cars having the edge.

The bike's big advantage is of course in a traffic jam.

Andy