Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_12_] Stephen[_12_] is offline

Default chipboard bookcase

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 03:13:10 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

I'd just buy a fllat pack from a shed/ikea - it may look ****e but at
least you'll not have spent hours as well as =A3s getting there...

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. I was surprised to be told not to DIY but
Billy has a lot of recommendations, so I'll certainly look into that.
I'm afraid don't live anywhere near an Ikea so it will be a day trip
to get there and back so I will spend hours and £s on it, whatever I
do

The Ikea web site says that you can get Billy bookcases and Billy CD
cases but the latter just look like narrow bookcases, I would think
you could use either for whatever you want?

The web site suggests that the shelf heights are adjustable but how do
they do that? The posts here say that they use metal dowel screws so
is it that the sides of the cupboards are drilled with holes and you
screw the dowel into the one at your desired height and then tighten a
dowel screw hidden on the underneath of the shelf? Sorry to ask. I
would answer my own question by going to have a look if they weren't
so far away.

I have used ikea cupboards in the past that used these dowel screws
but only to hold the top on. the shelves were supported by metal
"tabs" pushed into holes in the side.

One advantage of DIY is that I could fit doors to keep the sun off the
books and hide the mess! Billy says it can have doors but in
aluminium. That sounds like it would look like a locker room to me!

Thanks,
Stephen.