Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Laser printer eating toner

Mark wrote:
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:14:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:36:48 GMT, TheOldFellow wrote:

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.

Not much change from £200 for a complete set of 4 CYMB cartridges but
then if life of the black is anything like the life of toner in the
pervious LJ1200 it'll only need a black cartridge every other year.
The vast majority of our printing is black, the "default printer"
driver is setup as monochrome.

Toner always looks expensive but when you do the cost/page it is
almost invariably a lot cheaper than inkjet.

And there's a lot less swearing (at blocked inkjets).

I can also add another vote for the HP laserjet. I've had inkjets
from various manufacturers and they have /all/ been a pain. I've just
thrown away two new cartridges 'cos they didn't work at all.

Horses for courses. We have two HP printers in our small home office
(small business run from home). One is a Laserjet 1320 which churns
out the everyday B&W printing like clockwork and pretty cheaply as
well. The other is an HP OfficeJet 7310 which is an All-in-One
inkjet. We use it enough to keep the cartridges from drying out (most
of the time anyway) and cartridges are not a silly price anyway if you
shop around (from about a tenner, both B&W and colour).

The big pain with the 7310 is the arcane and gothic windows software,
fortunately we can avoid it most of the time as we're mostly Linux
based and the Linux drivers for the 7310 just work. I've wasted hours
(days?) installing and then uninstalling and then re-installing the
7310 MS Windows drivers, we have it working on a couple of XP machines
and that's all we need. (I've only added this bit really to show I
don't love HP all that much!)

--
Chris Green