Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laser printer eating toner

I've got a Xerox 6110N colour laser printer, all of a sudden it's started
to eat cyan toner - even if there is no cyan in the pages. Looking at
the mechanism there is a lot of cyan toner about, and the waste tank is
full of it - it's clearly just not regulating it properly.

At the same time its suddenly started making a loud clack-clack noise
when printing, as if it's trying to shake something.

Has anyone any experience of these kind of things. The cost of a
replacement Imaging Unit is far more than a new printer. (And I know
they have a bad reputation thanks, too late)

I'm tempted to start taking the 'no user serviceable parts' Imaging Unit
apart just to see if I can fix it.

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour Laser
Printer?

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 4:41*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour Laser
Printer?

HP Color LaserJet CP1515n. Had this a couple of months now, it's
really good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:03:27 -0800 (PST), David Paste wrote:

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour

Laser
Printer?

HP Color LaserJet CP1515n. Had this a couple of months now, it's
really good.

Quite happy with mine as well, beat me to it saying so. B-) Doesn't
do much colour work but all that it has done I've been happy with.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 10:27*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Quite happy with mine as well, beat me to it saying so. *B-) *Doesn't
do much colour work but all that it has done I've been happy with.

I honestly thought that for pictures it would be a bit ropy, but it
has surprised me how good pictures can be on a colour laser. I'd given
up on inkjets years ago due to several reasons and was using a mono
Samsung laser, with commercial photo printing for err, photo's. It was
good for text, but images (other than being greyscale, of course) were
distinctly 'newspaperish'. The 1515 is much better than I hoped for,
and even it's black text output is noticeably better (crisper,
especially at smaller type sizes) than the old Samsung ML-1610.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:58:59 -0800 (PST), David Paste wrote:

I'd given up on inkjets years ago due to several reasons and was using a
mono Samsung laser, with commercial photo printing for err, photo's.

I'd still use one of the online photo print services for anything
"important" but for normal everyday use (kids homework, snapshots
etc) it does very credible job. The 1515's predecesors where an HP
LJ1200 (black text out of both very similar) and Epson Sylus Photo
Color 890. Excellent photo prints on glossy papper when you finally
managed to kick it into working properly, not enough use so the jets
were always blocked. Cleaning cycles consume so much ink I'd probably
only get a dozen, if that, 4x6 prints from a cartridge.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
I've got a Xerox 6110N colour laser printer, all of a sudden it's
started to eat cyan toner - even if there is no cyan in the pages.
Looking at the mechanism there is a lot of cyan toner about, and
the waste tank is full of it - it's clearly just not regulating it
properly.

At the same time its suddenly started making a loud clack-clack
noise when printing, as if it's trying to shake something.

Has anyone any experience of these kind of things. The cost of a
replacement Imaging Unit is far more than a new printer. (And I
know they have a bad reputation thanks, too late)

I'm tempted to start taking the 'no user serviceable parts' Imaging
Unit apart just to see if I can fix it.

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour
Laser Printer?

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Bought one about 2 months ago.
Brand new sealed Dell unit, works beautifully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:27:54 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:03:27 -0800 (PST), David Paste wrote:

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour

Laser
Printer?

HP Color LaserJet CP1515n. Had this a couple of months now, it's really
good.

Quite happy with mine as well, beat me to it saying so. B-) Doesn't do
much colour work but all that it has done I've been happy with.

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.
R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
writes
TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

I can recommend that printer for low volume use but think it's worth
repeating previous warnings about that supplier. They are unrepentant
email, phone and fax spammers with a generally dubious reputation. I'd
guess that their interpretation of 'free' printer, as advertised, means
no warranty or rather they'll happily refund the cost of the printer in
case of complaint, ie zero.

If you must deal with these people then use a disposable email address,
it will be spammed and they will not stop, do not give them a real phone
number and do not give them a mobile or fax number at all.

Going rate for the Dell 1320CN is £128 inc vat. I got mine from CPC who
I know can be relied on to sort me out in case of problems and I am
happy to use consumables from http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/ who sell
a full set of compatible carts for 62quid. No affiliation to either.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 9:36*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.

Well, I suppose 'frightfully' is subjective. I worked out that B&W
text is about 3ppp and colour pictures are maybe 8ppp or thereabouts.
I can live with that cost. Incidentally, it worked out cheaper per
page than the last two Epson colour inkjet machines I had. They were
woeful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 13, 6:32*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I'd still use one of the online photo print services for anything
"important"

Yup, same here. I found ultimately that the paper used by the
commercial companies has the edge in quality than even the old inkjets
on good glossy paper. I could always tell. And now, the oldest pints I
did with the inkjets, are starting to fade - and they haven't been
subjected to anything particularly harsh, either. As I understand it,
the commercial 'proper' prints are known to last MUCH longer.

...Epson Sylus Photo Color 890. Excellent photo prints on glossy papper when you finally
managed to kick it into working properly, not enough use so the jets
were always blocked. Cleaning cycles consume so much ink I'd probably
only get a dozen, if that, 4x6 prints from a cartridge.

Exactly my experience with mine. It was also an Epson.

Before choosing the 1515, I had a look at several colour lasers and
inkjets. One thing I managed to do was check review sites, and
although the Canon Pixsomething-or-other was known to be the best
inkjet printer in terms of image quality, it drank ink like nothing
else. Turns out it did a cleaning cycle for each print run. Suppose it
helps stop clogging, but in turn made the print cost per page pretty
painful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:36:48 GMT, TheOldFellow wrote:

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.

Not much change from £200 for a complete set of 4 CYMB cartridges but
then if life of the black is anything like the life of toner in the
pervious LJ1200 it'll only need a black cartridge every other year.
The vast majority of our printing is black, the "default printer"
driver is setup as monochrome.

Toner always looks expensive but when you do the cost/page it is
almost invariably a lot cheaper than inkjet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:31:51 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Steve Walker
writes
TheOldFellow wrote:

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour Laser
Printer?

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Bought one about 2 months ago.
Brand new sealed Dell unit, works beautifully.

Going rate for the Dell 1320CN is £128 inc vat. I got mine from CPC who
I know can be relied on to sort me out in case of problems and I am
happy to use consumables from http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/ who sell
a full set of compatible carts for 62quid. No affiliation to either.

Not an option for me, no Linux drivers available.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:41:44 +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:

I've got a Xerox 6110N colour laser printer, all of a sudden it's
started to eat cyan toner ...

Well, I may not be buying a new one after all. Examination of the
insides (I got a pdf maintenance manual from the t'internet for nowt)
leads me to the conclusion that the last cyan toner cartridge must have
been faulty (yes, it was a re-manufactured one) and this led to clogging
of the mechanism. The next cartridge that I used then got wedged open by
the clog and damaged, so it is appeared U/S too.

I've cleared the clog (workshop vac with a fine nozzle, plus fine stick
to break it up), and the cartridge now seats well. I'll give it one more
try before the big Heave-Ho!

One thing is sure, I am not going back to Ink Jets.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

I've cleared the clog (workshop vac with a fine nozzle

careful, unless you have a very fine filter (like a proper tonervac) you
might find you're distributing cyan dust into the air to have it settle
on all surfaces ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:36:48 GMT, TheOldFellow wrote:

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.

Not much change from £200 for a complete set of 4 CYMB cartridges but
then if life of the black is anything like the life of toner in the
pervious LJ1200 it'll only need a black cartridge every other year.
The vast majority of our printing is black, the "default printer"
driver is setup as monochrome.

Toner always looks expensive but when you do the cost/page it is
almost invariably a lot cheaper than inkjet.

cf. Toner always looks expensive but when you realise how little it
costs to make you think now that really is f'ckn expensive ;-)
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , TheOldFellow
writes

TheOldFellow wrote:

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour Laser
Printer?

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Bought one about 2 months ago.
Brand new sealed Dell unit, works beautifully.

Going rate for the Dell 1320CN is £128 inc vat. I got mine from CPC who
I know can be relied on to sort me out in case of problems and I am
happy to use consumables from http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/ who sell
a full set of compatible carts for 62quid. No affiliation to either.

Not an option for me, no Linux drivers available.

Ah, if sir had only outlined his full requirements at the outset :-)

Sorry you didn't get any help on the repair angle.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/10 14:15, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:31:51 +0000, fred wrote:

In , Steve Walker
writes
TheOldFellow wrote:

Then the next question, can anyone recommend a Networked Colour Laser
Printer?

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Bought one about 2 months ago.
Brand new sealed Dell unit, works beautifully.

Going rate for the Dell 1320CN is £128 inc vat. I got mine from CPC who
I know can be relied on to sort me out in case of problems and I am
happy to use consumables from http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/ who sell
a full set of compatible carts for 62quid. No affiliation to either.

Not an option for me, no Linux drivers available.

32bit OS?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/37zhn72

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

While IJT presumably have obligation under sales of goods act
(although being offshore I can't be sure) the warranty regardless of
whether you purchase it from IJT or CPC is with Dell. Key in the
serial number and you see how many days there are left ( it's next day
at home servicing iirc) Pity that their clock starts running when the
device is sent from Dell to the seller so you loose a couple of weeks.

Mine eats toner at a far higher rate than advertised. 1000 - 1200
sheets per black toner is about what I'm getting, the 2000 pages is at
5% coverage, I doubt mine is much more as the vast majority are plain
text or line drawings with no big areas of infill.

There are many places with cheaper Dell 1320 toner than
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk I've had 4 toners for less than 30
quid, and black ones for under a fiver. I've tried loads of suppliers
over the past year, even genuine "50 quid" Dell ones and there doesn't
appear to be any difference in quality or yield.

Compared to my old HP laser from the mid 1990's it's faster and
clearer and also in colour. In terms of build quality it's light
years behind. I can't see it lasting more than 2 or 3 years. My HP
was on something like 150000+ pages last I looked. All it's needed
over the years besides toner is a fuser unit costing about 30 quid
when I inadvertently fed in some incompatible clear film

Despite all my reservations I'd still recommend the Dell 1320 as it's
way better than any inkjet and when want very high quality colour
prints I'll get them professionally done. The single sheet feeder
remains a stinking pile of crap if you use anything but perfectly
smooth paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Steve Walker
writes
TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

Can't say I've had a problem with that myself.

I'd guess that their interpretation of 'free' printer, as advertised,
means no warranty or rather they'll happily refund the cost of the
printer in case of complaint, ie zero.

AIUI It has the normal Dell warranty.

Going rate for the Dell 1320CN is £128 inc vat. I got mine from CPC who
I know can be relied on to sort me out in case of problems

But CPC aren't including the extra toner. From IJT/Cartex (or Morgan's
if you prefer a UK co rather than a Jersey one for about £10 more,
though all owned by the same co now) you get the printer + 2 full sets
of toner. Though I think it doesn't include the 'starter' toner you
normally get which is rated at 1000 pages instead of 2000. so you are
getting 1 1/2 sets of toner free I guess.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:14:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:36:48 GMT, TheOldFellow wrote:

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.

Not much change from £200 for a complete set of 4 CYMB cartridges but
then if life of the black is anything like the life of toner in the
pervious LJ1200 it'll only need a black cartridge every other year.
The vast majority of our printing is black, the "default printer"
driver is setup as monochrome.

Toner always looks expensive but when you do the cost/page it is
almost invariably a lot cheaper than inkjet.

And there's a lot less swearing (at blocked inkjets).

I can also add another vote for the HP laserjet. I've had inkjets
from various manufacturers and they have /all/ been a pain. I've just
thrown away two new cartridges 'cos they didn't work at all.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:36:48 GMT, TheOldFellow wrote:

Toner looks frightfully expensive though.

Not much change from £200 for a complete set of 4 CYMB cartridges but
then if life of the black is anything like the life of toner in the
pervious LJ1200 it'll only need a black cartridge every other year.
The vast majority of our printing is black, the "default printer"
driver is setup as monochrome.

Toner always looks expensive but when you do the cost/page it is
almost invariably a lot cheaper than inkjet.

And there's a lot less swearing (at blocked inkjets).

I can also add another vote for the HP laserjet. I've had inkjets
from various manufacturers and they have /all/ been a pain. I've just
thrown away two new cartridges 'cos they didn't work at all.

Horses for courses. We have two HP printers in our small home office
(small business run from home). One is a Laserjet 1320 which churns
out the everyday B&W printing like clockwork and pretty cheaply as
well. The other is an HP OfficeJet 7310 which is an All-in-One
inkjet. We use it enough to keep the cartridges from drying out (most
of the time anyway) and cartridges are not a silly price anyway if you
shop around (from about a tenner, both B&W and colour).

The big pain with the 7310 is the arcane and gothic windows software,
fortunately we can avoid it most of the time as we're mostly Linux
based and the Linux drivers for the 7310 just work. I've wasted hours
(days?) installing and then uninstalling and then re-installing the
7310 MS Windows drivers, we have it working on a couple of XP machines
and that's all we need. (I've only added this bit really to show I
don't love HP all that much!)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

May I ask, I bought a samsung mono laser printer (ML2510) because like
everyone else, I was fed-up of my inkjet nozzles blocking. When the
toner ran out, I bought a refill from ebay. I think I was told you
could only use refills a couple of times and then you had to buy a new
whatsit, the big thing you pour the toner into. Is that true? Why is
that? Does something wear out?

I must have refilled it twice now but I must admit since the last time
I refilled it, the print has been grey rather than black. Have I done
something wrong? Or is it that my whatsit needs changing or have I
just bought cheap toner which isn't as black as the real stuff?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:22:12 +0000, Stephen wrote:

I think I was told you could only use refills a couple of times and then
you had to buy a new whatsit, the big thing you pour the toner into. Is
that true? Why is that? Does something wear out?

Yes the cartridge on these smaller and cheaper laser printers also
contains the photosensitive roller that the laser "writes" on. This
can get tired.

I must have refilled it twice now but I must admit since the last time
I refilled it, the print has been grey rather than black. Have I done
something wrong? Or is it that my whatsit needs changing or have I
just bought cheap toner which isn't as black as the real stuff?

Too many variables really, not enough toner is being picked up and
transfered to the paper. This maybe down to properties of the toner
or a "tired" photosensitive drum.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FWIW (coming late in here): I thought I had to refill my Samsung
ML-2010 toner cart again recently, but removing it and gently shaking it
(as one used to have to do with the photocopiers at work) seems to have
given it a new lease of life.

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:03:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Yes the cartridge on these smaller and cheaper laser printers also
contains the photosensitive roller that the laser "writes" on. This
can get tired.

Thanks. That must be what's happened then. So there is limited mileage
in refilling them if the drum needs replacing when the ink runs out.

You mentioned in cheap printers; does this mean that in expensive
printers is this roller separate?

I am quite interested in getting a colour HP laser having read the
favourable reviews here.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen
writes
wrote:

Yes the cartridge on these smaller and cheaper laser printers also
contains the photosensitive roller that the laser "writes" on. This
can get tired.

Thanks. That must be what's happened then. So there is limited mileage
in refilling them if the drum needs replacing when the ink runs out.

Yep, but I'd expect a few refills before the drum starts to need
replacing.

You mentioned in cheap printers; does this mean that in expensive
printers is this roller separate?

Generally yes I think. Or even in not so expensive printers. I've
recently bought one of the Dell 1230CN colour lasers as mentioned
elsewhere in the thread. It has separate toners and drums. Though if the
drum ever needed replacing it'd be just as cheap to buy a whole new
printer. But this is for home use, so not very intensive.

I am quite interested in getting a colour HP laser having read the
favourable reviews here.

I'm happy with the above Dell. colour network printer, + 2 full sets of
Dell toner (though not the half full 'starter' toners it would normally
come with) for GBP 134 inc del.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:53:53 +0000, chris French
wrote:

Yep, but I'd expect a few refills before the drum starts to need
replacing.

I must have done two or three refills by now, I wasn't really
counting.

I've recently bought one of the Dell 1230CN colour lasers as mentioned
elsewhere in the thread. It has separate toners and drums. Though if the
drum ever needed replacing it'd be just as cheap to buy a whole new
printer.

I wondered whether they would be expensive. I guess either way, when
the drum gets tired you have to spend some money.

Thanks,
Stephen.