Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Ryobi Planer - AP 10

"lzoto" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 1:32 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:28:56 -0800, lzoto wrote:
Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

That seems high to me. I think $100 would be a fair price. Yes, it's
"new", but the newer planers are wider, snipe less, have better dust
collection, more power, etc..

That said, I've got one I bought in the '80s and it's still running. So
it is a good quality tool. I've heard the current Ryobi tools aren't
what they used to be.

I recently bought a small thickness planer and now use it for the final
32nd of an inch or so - the AP10, like any planer, will cause a little
tearout on some woods and the sanding gets rid of that.

I thought it should be $100 or less, but I have to say that I am
attracted to it's age. Despite the bells and whistles you get with
newer products, the quality of the individual parts, including the
grade of steel they used back then, were far superior.

Well, when the smoke clears it is still a Ryobi, one of their best products
as far as I am convcerned but the age attraction is not necessirily a good
thing if you can no longer get parts for it. The rubber cutter head drive
belt might be in a bit dry after 25 years and you may not be able to find a
replacement. It was well build however, it had a point to prove.