Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Ryobi Planer - AP 10

lzoto wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
lzoto wrote:
I have come across a new in the box planer from 1985 that has never
been opened. I am wondering if not having been run all these years
could be an issue. Any other info on the planer would be helpful.

If everything moves freely by hand, you should be okay.

Then, give it the old "smoke test" - turn it on and see if it smokes.

I just picked up a used one - it's my first and it works swell. The
first time you use it, do so in the driveway. The think makes an
unbelievable amount of shavings. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. So
much so that one of my cats who was watching the experiement, ambled
off shaking his head.

You can get an aftermarket shaving collector into which you can plug
your dust collector with really good results.

Thank you for your input. He wants $200 for it which seems high for
that planer, but it is "new" and most of the reviews I have read were
decent. It won't be getting heavy use, so I just need something
inexpensive and small.

Hmm. I got mine for $100 from a Craigslist ad. Admittedly, I had been
monitoring CL for a couple of months 'til I found this low-priced item.

In my case, patience paid off. Your needs may vary.