Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey[_2_] Terry Casey[_2_] is offline

Default chipboard bookcase

In article , newspost-c-
says...

But unless you really have the urge to build it, or want it to fit a
particular place etc. you might want to look up the prices of decent
flatpack ones compared to the cost of the boards. Cheap ones from Argos
etc. can be pretty rubbish. But the IKEA Billy ones are strong and
sturdy, and quick to put together. Unfussy and do the job well.

I should have pointed out in my previous post that the screws (actually
specially made fixings but you do screw them in!) are only used to clamp
the shelves to the sides to make the structure rigid - the main fixing
is two dowels in each end of the shelf so, as Chris says, strong and
sturdy.

I think the veneer is sealed with a melamine product, unlike veneered
chipboard you would buy, which is just unfinished veneer, and it
certainly makes the veneer strong as well as looking good - I have a
swivel chair near one of mine and have accidentally caught it against
the front edge of one of my cases on numerous occasions with no sign of
damage, let alone chipped veneer.
--

Terry