Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_12_] Stephen[_12_] is offline

Default chipboard bookcase

Hello,

I am thinking of making a book case or should I say shelf unit, as I
may use it for cds and dvds too.

Based on my experience of this house, the walls appear to be 8'x4'
plasterboard that is only supported by 1.5"x1.5" wood at the edges,
yes that's right, 4' centres! The plasterboard seems to be re enforced
by splashing some plaster on the inside of the wall and pressing
cardboard squares into it, to give the appearance of something
resembling an egg box with square holes.

As the studs are very insubstantial and few and far between, I don't
think screwing to the wall is a good idea. Though I could demolish and
rebuild the wall, I think a free standing unit might be a quicker and
cleaner way to do things.

If I use melamine faced chip because it's cheap and readily available,
unless you have a better idea?

What's the best way to fix the sides to the shelves? Would you just
butt them together or should I be routing/mitering bits out?

IIRC chipboard likes coarse screws like those used in plasterboard, so
I could just screw through the sides. I am not too worried about
having screws on show. I could always tidy them up with caps.

Or would you do something more elegant with hidden dowels?

Is there a magic method to make sure hole and shelf line up or is it
just a case of measuring twice, drilling once?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen.