Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Design for the dump?

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:27:38 -0500, Bill wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I rebuilt a carburetor as a poor college student in the early 80's. It
had a "sticky" choke. It was explained to me that at the hourly rated
charged by professionals, it made sense for them to replace rather than
rebuild them. The "rebuild kit", consisting mainly of gaskets, was less
than $20. I layed out and cleaned every part, reassembled, and the car
started on the first try. Impressing my dad-- priceless! ; )

Bill

In the early '60s I drove Austins. One day I was just finishing the
rebuild on an SU carb when one of our engineers (English chap) popped
in. He suggested that he could take it to the dealership's service
department and get it properly set up. I declined his kind offer and
bolted it in place and made all the connections and demonstrated to
him how well the engine ran now.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada