Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Design for the dump?

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 7:54*pm, CaveLamb wrote:
And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site: *www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

The basic problem is defining what is means to "be designed to be
repaired". I own an electronic assembly service and we build
everything electronic from cables to circuit boards to complete units
ready to ship to the end user. Everything we build can be repaired,
and sometimes we do have to repair them. We can do that because we
have the documentation, test equipment, and knowledge to do it. We do
not have documentation and test fixtures to repair and test other
companies devices. So, most consumer products are not repairable
because no one but the manufacture has that ability.

Unlike the radios and TV sets of the 1940-60's, the electronic
manufactures do not release documentation to repair their devices, nor
do they have spare or replacement parts kits.

We get calls every week asking if we can repair some instrument or
device. A number of calls are from people that think they have traced
a problem to a burned resistor or a connector that is broken. When we
explain that a burned resistor is a symptom of the problem and not the
cause, they begin to understand why our shop rate is $50 per hour, but
only work on devices we have actually built.

The only case where we have been able to help someone was a call
several years ago from an airplane mechanic from a small airport about
50 miles South of our plant. He had a plane stuck at the little
airport because several diodes had opened and he couldn't fly it that
way. We found diodes that would work temporarily for him and just gave
them to him.

The whole idea of repairable consumer electronics is based on
ignorance of what is involved.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KD7HB wrote:
The whole idea of repairable consumer electronics is based on
ignorance of what is involved.

Yeah, nowadays it's cheaper to throw it away anyway.

But when I was your age, stuff actually _was_ consumer-repairable,
but consumers were a lot smarter back then.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 12:21*am, KD7HB wrote:

.. We can do that because we
have the documentation, test equipment, and knowledge to do it. We do
not have documentation and test fixtures to repair and test other
companies devices. So, most consumer products are not repairable
because no one but the manufacture has that ability.

Unlike the radios and TV sets of the 1940-60's, the electronic
manufactures do not release documentation to repair their devices, nor
do they have spare or replacement parts kits.

Paul

What is surprising to be is that the electronic manufacturers do not
release the documentation. I would think it would not cost a lot to
do so. No actual printing needed, just release the information via a
web site. I agree it would not be a profit center, but it would
influence me as to what to buy. I currently have a digital voltmeter
that has the AC millivolt range not working. I opened it up and found
the pcb has a Mastech label. I contacted Mastech but got no answer to
my query for a schematic. So black mark against Mastech. Can't even
get information on calibration although there are several pots visible
on the pcb.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

7 minutes 47 seconds of nothing new. Basically advocating "take back",
where manufacturers are responsible for product disposal at its
end-of-life. 'Course what that would really mean is a big jump in the
original price to cover the handling, transportation, and disposal at
the end. And a deposit, so the consumer actually returns it, rather
than just more-easily dumping it. Naive.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
KD7HB wrote:
The whole idea of repairable consumer electronics is based on
ignorance of what is involved.

Yeah, nowadays it's cheaper to throw it away anyway.

But when I was your age, stuff actually _was_ consumer-repairable,
but consumers were a lot smarter back then.

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, between 1986 and 1996 I repaired 11,000 VCRs, by 1995 I saw the
price was getting so low that it would not be long and I wouldn't get a
fair price to repair them. My thought process was, move to Florida or
get into repair of DVD players, (they were the new thing). I moved to
Florida,
I'm glad I did, the price of DVDs came down quick.
MikeK

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
KD7HB wrote:
The whole idea of repairable consumer electronics is based on
ignorance of what is involved.

Yeah, nowadays it's cheaper to throw it away anyway.

But when I was your age, stuff actually _was_ consumer-repairable,
but consumers were a lot smarter back then.

Consumers aren't stupid, just unarmed.

You can turn lots of dumb consumers into smart
consumers. Just add availability of parts
and information. Ferinstance:

* My Palm PDA got a new lease when I replaced
the screen and digitizer. It was quick and easy.

* My $30 coffee maker works like new after I
flushed the spilled grounds out of the heater tube.

* My truck clutch works a *lot* better after I
replaced the hydraulics.

* My rotary hammer functions once more after I
located and repaired a disconnected wire.

* Summers are much more pleasant now that I replaced
all the occluded rafter end vent screens with
new ones.

* The TPMS in my car works properly once again
after I readjusted the tire pressure to factory
spec and reset the trigger threshold in the
computer.

And lots of other things that I don't recall
at the moment.

Note that in all but one of these cases, the OEM
wasn't directly involved in sourcing either the
replacement part or the documentation necessary to
do a successful repair. (In the TPMS case, the
problem was *caused* by a Toyota dealer repair
manager!)

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-14, Winston wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
KD7HB wrote:
[...]

I fixed a small MP3 player once, by re-soldering a power switch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

web site: Â*www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

[...]

To a large extent, yes - but if companies were REQUIRED to make
devices repairable it would do away with the solvent welded (or heat
welded) plastic cases in favour of screwed together cases - possibly
even using non-toxic non-plastic materials, such as aluminum or even
wood that could be opened without destroying the, to get at the
components. If the circuit boards had to be replaceable, and the
replacement boards had to be available for exchange so the boards
could be repaired, and thereby actually recycled, the design would
need to change from multiple boards soldered together to boards that
plug together (like most used to in the past) Self diagnostics could
be built into most designs that would indicate which subassembly had
failed.
The big problem is, this would make the devices more expensive to
BUILD. Which means either the profit margin would drop or the selling
price would go up substantially.

This would mean fewer would be sold.
If they could be fxed, even fewer would be sold - and that , along
with the lower profit margins, would reduce the earnings of these
companies, lowering their stock value, which would really **** off the
stock-holders.

The economy as we know it would have to totally re-adjust itself -
we'd be back to the sixties.

The devices would also have to become larger, or contain less features
in the same size, because miniturization and repairability do not
particularly work together.

Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 4:40*pm, Rich Grise wrote:

* *Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Thanks,
Rich

There used to be advertisements in magazines as Science and Mechanics
for the equipment to rebuild picture tubes. As I remember you
replaced the entire gun assembly, pumped it down, and sealed off the
evacuation port.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:40:09 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Thanks,
Rich

Used to be able to buy rebuilt tubes from a lot of suppliers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:40:09 -0800, the renowned Rich Grise
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, it used to be fairly common.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/13/2010 07:54 PM, CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

Part of this is because designing stuff to be repaired is difficult.
But part of this is because one hour of repair time in the US costs many
man-days of labor in the country where the electronics got manufactured.

As the Chinese and Indians Malaysians and whoever get into wage-parity
with us, it'll be more sensible to spend an hour of our time instead of
just chucking something and spending man-days of some Chinese guy's time.

Then the market will start demanding reparable stuff, and you'll see it
happen. It'll just be basic market forces at work.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 1:40*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

* *Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Three kinds of rebuild:

(1) the cathode could be 'outgassed' aka 'rejuvenated' (just a bit
of overheating, and it made the tube a bit brighter for a while).

(2) the innards could be re-welded. Tektronix, it is said, got a
$50k industrial laser, and on its first day in operation reworked
enough storage-scope electrodes by welding through the glass
envelope, to repay the full investment. There were also
techniques for adjust-using-gravity then spotweld by applying
high current to the external wires.

(3) the neck can be sawed off and a new electron gun
spliced in. Sounds drastic, but replacement electron guns for
(for instance) electron microscopes are a common maintenance item.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Duh. Most replacment picture tubes were rebuilt. A common CRT was
$39 rebuilt, and $119 with new glass. If they were on sale, some
rebuilts were $19.95. If you didn't know what to look for you couldn't
tell the difference in new or rebuilt. A rebuild CRT had another ridge
on the neck, near the bell. Some had two or more, if the glass dud was
rare.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 3:38*pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

Me , to all four . Just last week I had to replace the float in my truck's
carb . Plastic part , ethanol eats 'em up in a couple of years . Shoulda
rebuilt the starter week-before-last , but I bit the bullet and bought a new
one (son works at the parts store , I get his discount) because of time
considerations . The old one is on the bench to be rebuilt as a spare , just
needs brushes and a tail end bushing .

--
Snag
Got Guns ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:54:58 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

That was cool. Give an idealist a bunch of electronic gizmos and
that's what yea get.

I could have used that chick the last time I worked on my Toyota, the
clips that hold the air filter have to be lifted up and there is no
space to get a finger in. I had to get a paint stick and from
underneath looking straight up, push the clip up, and tape the stick
to the body, then jump up and pull the cover off.

One would think after a GOOD hundred years they could make a car where
you can get some of the engine apart one part at a time. Oh, and keep
the tool sizes under say 5.

While I'm at it. I have two toys of the same year and everything is
about 3/32 of an inch different on all interchangeable parts,
including the air filter!

Had that problem years ago when the timing chain ate through the
aluminum cover. Got another from a junk yard and majors amount of work
later the covers are 3/32" different.

If I make a product with lots of aluminum, copper, and steel when the
customer wants to recycle it do I get the inflated future price sent
back to me?

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I rebuilt a carburetor as a poor college student in the early 80's. It
had a "sticky" choke. It was explained to me that at the hourly rated
charged by professionals, it made sense for them to replace rather than
rebuild them. The "rebuild kit", consisting mainly of gaskets, was less
than $20. I layed out and cleaned every part, reassembled, and the car
started on the first try. Impressing my dad-- priceless! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do not
have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer cost
effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 8:34*pm, "ATP" wrote:
... It's no longer cost
effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

That's the heart of the problem.

There's also the complexity of modern devices. I can strip and
reassemble a Segway pretty quickly but wouldn't suggest it to owners.
Even in their lab we didn't have a manual. I learned by watching the
production line.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:05:36 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 14, 3:38Â*pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

All three, several of them many times.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You had 2 different engines. I'll bet one was an 8R and the other an
18R - or a 20R and a 22R.
The cam-in-block designs used interchangeable parts (2T and 3T, k, 2k,
3k and, IIRC, 5K) and 3R and 5R.

On some, the newer fit the older with a few update parts, while the
older might not fit the newer (upgrades for reliability etc)

If I make a product with lots of aluminum, copper, and steel when the
customer wants to recycle it do I get the inflated future price sent
back to me?

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do not
have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer cost
effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

On SOME starter motors, if you can rebuild it yourself the savings
amount to close to $200 an hour. For that kind of money, BRING 'EM
ON!!!!.
As for Carbs - not much other than small engines use carbs any more,
and even with the ridiculous prices they charge for carb replacement
parts, unless the carb is totally trashed, I'll fix it.
And if it has a sunk brass float, I'll fix THAT too, instead of
replacing it (most likely with a plastic replacement)

CPUs? In the next couple of weeks I'll be replacing the 10 year old
server that I upgraded the CPU from a single Xeon 1.4 to dual 2.4
Xeons about 4 or 5 years ago (using E-Bay pulls) saving close to $2000
over the cost of an almost equivalent replacement.

My current personal computer has not been replaced in totallity for
almost 10 years. It has been replaced piece at a time as used/repaired
parts have become available from customer upgrades. It's still a few
generations behind, but does the job and certainly doesn't owe ME
anything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:

Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do not
have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer cost
effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

I find it very cost effective to rebuild both starters and
carburetors. On the Isuzu truck I am currently driving, the stater
went out. Local parts stores wanted $140 for a "rebuilt". 10 minutes
on the web told me the problem was almost certainly the solenoid
contacts. Open it up and verified that the contacts were burned to
thin. Local stores did not carry the contacts. I did not want to wait
days to order contacts. Took about an hour to fabricate from copper
water pipe. I increased contact area by about 3x. YMMV

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:38*pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

I haven't recut a faucet seat, but I've swapped out the replaceable one.
Haven't "changed" a CPU - generally they're replaced along with the new
motherboard.

Yes, I've rebuilt a carburetor.

No, I haven't rebuilt a starter motor but I've replaced a clutch and
pressure plate, and gas brazed a broken piece of linkage. Come to think
of it, I've swapped out a Bendix.

How 'bout you? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP wrote:

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do
not have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer
cost effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

These days, cars don't even _have_ carburetors.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

Yes to all of them. I even soldered a cracked brass valve body for
my shower after it froze.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

Me, me, me, and me. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

Another question is: should they?

Mechanical things can be made to be repairable, and mechanisms do
wear. Electronic stuff can be made to be high-reliability, but not at
rock-bottom penny-shaving competitive consumer cost.

I think that trying to make consumer electronic stuff either
repairable or infallible is unrealistic. We need to learn how to
recycle more efficiently, effectively and economically so we can
continue to enjoy the benefits of efficiently-produced low-cost
gadgets and gizmos without screwing up the planet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-15, Don Foreman wrote:
Mechanical things can be made to be repairable, and mechanisms do
wear. Electronic stuff can be made to be high-reliability, but not at
rock-bottom penny-shaving competitive consumer cost.

I think that trying to make consumer electronic stuff either
repairable or infallible is unrealistic. We need to learn how to
recycle more efficiently, effectively and economically so we can
continue to enjoy the benefits of efficiently-produced low-cost
gadgets and gizmos without screwing up the planet.

Exactly. Electronic gadgets are usually obsolete in 3 years. Why go to
an extra expense to make, say, a cell phone or a MP3 player last 30
years? It makes no sense. Plus, there is no sense in making a $30 item
repairable, as any repair would easily cost much more.

Computers are made to last longer and routinely go over 10 years of
age, and usually can be easily and inexpensively repaired by swapping
parts (fans, motherboards, cards etc). So, some electronic devices do
have greater reliability.

I recently set up a computer that I hope will last over 10 years. It
is based on Intel atom CPU and has NO moving parts: SSD instead of a
disk drive and no fan. I will use it to be a server.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:27:38 -0500, Bill wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
[...]

In the early '60s I drove Austins. One day I was just finishing the
rebuild on an SU carb when one of our engineers (English chap) popped
in. He suggested that he could take it to the dealership's service
department and get it properly set up. I declined his kind offer and
bolted it in place and made all the connections and demonstrated to
him how well the engine ran now.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do not
have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer cost
effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

Last summer I gave away (in running condition) the lawnmower I bought
for $5 in 1990.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

jsw

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do not
have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer cost
effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

I rebuild the carb on my snowblower every 5 years. The Tecumseh "Snow
King" engine is a sturdy reliable steed but it's fussy about its
carb. I take care of it, it takes care of me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 15, 2:02*am, Don Foreman wrote:
Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?
jsw

I rebuild the carb on my snowblower every 5 years. *The Tecumseh "Snow
King" engine is a sturdy reliable steed but it's *fussy about its
carb. *I take care of it, it takes care of me.

That's a list of repairs that someone thought I was crazy to do
myself, instead of buying new as they would have. I figured you guys
might have had the same experience.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:17:53 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:38*pm, wrote:
Although repairable devices are possible, I don't think the world is
ready for what would be required to make them the "norm".

People of 2010 don't want to go back to the 'sixties - even if, when
all is said and done, we'd all be better off for it.

Some things that -are- still repairable are usually replaced. Who has
recut a faucet seat, changed a CPU or rebuilt a carburetor or starter
motor?

I haven't recut a faucet seat, but I've swapped out the replaceable one.
Haven't "changed" a CPU - generally they're replaced along with the new
motherboard.

Yes, I've rebuilt a carburetor.

No, I haven't rebuilt a starter motor but I've replaced a clutch and
pressure plate, and gas brazed a broken piece of linkage. Come to think
of it, I've swapped out a Bendix.

How 'bout you? ;-)

I have your same experience, but I have R&Red a CPU to install fresh
thermal goo, too.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:19:02 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

ATP wrote:

I have done all those things, but most faucets from the last 20 years do
not have seats that can be recut, they have cartridges. It's no longer
cost effective to change CPU's or rebuild carburetors or starter motors.

These days, cars don't even _have_ carburetors.

Thank insert deity of choice for that. No dead stumbles into
traffic lanes when the engine's cold!

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 15, 8:32*am, Larry Jaques
These days, cars don't even _have_ carburetors.

Thank insert deity of choice for that. *No dead stumbles into
traffic lanes when the engine's cold!

Cars don't, but the orphaned yard machines that appear on my doorstep
do, and often the carb is the reason.

jsw