Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default Design for the dump?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:54:58 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

That was cool. Give an idealist a bunch of electronic gizmos and
that's what yea get.

I could have used that chick the last time I worked on my Toyota, the
clips that hold the air filter have to be lifted up and there is no
space to get a finger in. I had to get a paint stick and from
underneath looking straight up, push the clip up, and tape the stick
to the body, then jump up and pull the cover off.

One would think after a GOOD hundred years they could make a car where
you can get some of the engine apart one part at a time. Oh, and keep
the tool sizes under say 5.

While I'm at it. I have two toys of the same year and everything is
about 3/32 of an inch different on all interchangeable parts,
including the air filter!

Had that problem years ago when the timing chain ate through the
aluminum cover. Got another from a junk yard and majors amount of work
later the covers are 3/32" different.

If I make a product with lots of aluminum, copper, and steel when the
customer wants to recycle it do I get the inflated future price sent
back to me?

SW