Posted to uk.d-i-y
Booty Booty is offline

Default scrap metal

About 18 months ago I removed all the piping and ( uninsulated ) hot water
cylinder from a 2 up, 2 down terraced before having a new CH system fitted
there.

I didn't seperate the brass.

There was 28mm, 22mm and 15mm pipe.

I too wondered whether it was worthwhile taking it for scrap but as the
scrap dealer was only a mile away I loaded the trailer with it not knowing
what to expect.

They had a quick look over the trailer on entry, weighed the loaded trailer
on entry then weighed it unloaded on exit.

Proof of identity was needed.

£110 on exit - I was suprised - definately worthwhile.
I cant remember now but this load might have also included some old lead
cable removed from the same property and weighed seperately.

I later took the removed radiators ( I think there were 6 in all ) to the
same place and 2 scrap boilers and a couple of odds and sods ( 2 car wheels
without tyres and two front brake disks ).

£85 was a suprise for me.

Guess it depends what transport you have and how far away the scrap dealer
is but it was definately worthwhile for me.

I had to unload all the scrap from my trailer though whilst in their yard.

I used a scrap dealer that was used to weighing wagon loads of scrap and had
a weighbridge at the entry point so I guess they are a commercial scrap
dealer as opposed to a scrap yard.