Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drilling bench dog holes?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:19:19 -0500, Upscale wrote:

My 1-3/4" thick solid laminated maple work bench is exactly that, solid.
That means no dog holes. Anyone have experience drilling 3/4" diameter
bench dog holes that are actually vertical as they should be and not
slightly tilted?

Everyone to his own preferences, but why do you object to the slight
tilt? My experience has been that a tilt of a few degrees (I believe
mine is 4 or 5 degrees) towards the vise keeps the dogs from tilting
backwards or riding up when pressure is applied.

On your followup question about hole spacing, it should be at most a
little less than your vise stroke. I set mine about half that to ensure
most of a board is always flat on the table. I use a variation of a
French leg vise and have one at the front and back edges of the bench. I
put one row of holes in line with each of those vises and another right
down the middle.

A handy add on is a "double dog" that spans the bench (or the two vises)
and another that spans from either edge to the center row of holes.