N. Thornton

Default Advice on bathroom lighting in shallow false ceiling

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
wrote:

We're still mulling over ideas for the lighting in the refurbished
bathroom at our flat.

We're thinking of using MDF for the ceiling rather than plasterboard
on the basis that it will be easier to work with and it might be more
practical to make one or two panels removable for access. Does this
sound like a good idea or not?

fire

I'd go for 6x50W as the bulbs are a bit more robust.

300W spread over the area of the ceiling - 3.75 sq meters

lord no. Halogen bulbs are around 2x as efficient as 240v filament
bulbs: can you imagine 600w of filament bulbs in 4m2 of room? Using
downlighting does kill the efficiecy tho, if you have anything but
white/cream carpet, so 300w is probably a closer comparison. Still
well OTT, unless youre filming in there.

I wouldnt recommend these downlighters myself. They're in vogue at the
mo, but sooner or later will be uninstalled in large numbers due to
their downsides. Its only a matter of time.

In most cases I'd put spots on the wall and point them up at the
ceiling. Pick spots that you can put ordinary CFLs in. Better
lighting, much more energy efficient, no glare.

Regards, NT