Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Paste[_2_] David Paste[_2_] is offline

Default Laser printer eating toner

On Nov 13, 6:32*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I'd still use one of the online photo print services for anything
"important"

Yup, same here. I found ultimately that the paper used by the
commercial companies has the edge in quality than even the old inkjets
on good glossy paper. I could always tell. And now, the oldest pints I
did with the inkjets, are starting to fade - and they haven't been
subjected to anything particularly harsh, either. As I understand it,
the commercial 'proper' prints are known to last MUCH longer.

...Epson Sylus Photo Color 890. Excellent photo prints on glossy papper when you finally
managed to kick it into working properly, not enough use so the jets
were always blocked. Cleaning cycles consume so much ink I'd probably
only get a dozen, if that, 4x6 prints from a cartridge.

Exactly my experience with mine. It was also an Epson.

Before choosing the 1515, I had a look at several colour lasers and
inkjets. One thing I managed to do was check review sites, and
although the Canon Pixsomething-or-other was known to be the best
inkjet printer in terms of image quality, it drank ink like nothing
else. Turns out it did a cleaning cycle for each print run. Suppose it
helps stop clogging, but in turn made the print cost per page pretty
painful.