Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default How often to change oil in compressor?

On 11/7/2010 9:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"blueman" wrote
The auto-techs said all the new automotive oils have detergents for
regulatory/standards reasons. But that plain (non-synthetic) 30 weight
is still made also without detergents for older engines.

Perhaps they are wrong or perhaps you can get synthetic 30 weight
without detergent in a compressor parts store... But I would be
interested if anybody has found a source of synthetic 30 weight oil
without detergent.

I'd go to an industrial supply house or www.mcmaster.com for compressor
oil. They make a synthetic that is probably the same 30 weight with no
detergents. Mc Master No. 1411K31 for 30 weight. $53 a gallon. Lifetime
supply for most of us that use a compressor lightly.

I got my compressor used over 30 years ago and have been thinking of
changing the oil after reading this thread, but so far, just thinking
about it... Compressor gets light use, maybe once a week on average.

I think, if I change it, I'll use the synthetic stuff so it will last.
It might have synthetic stuff in it, I never changed it.

I rarely drain the water (years) and never change the oil (many years)

Still works same as the day I got the thing (Emglo pump, now Dewalt or
Jenny)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com