Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater blanket for furnace supply plenum?

On Nov 9, 3:56*pm, zek wrote:
On Nov 7, 4:31*pm, blueman wrote:

"Colbyt" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The *furnace itself is
cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part
is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated.

Since the furance is in our unfinished basement, it seems logical to
insulate the plenum right?

- Would a water heater blanket work well to insulate the plenum?
- Any other suggestions for insultating material? (I know regular
*fiberglass batts are cheaper but I don't know if they are rated for
*contact with a supply plenum)?

Also as a related question, we have a circa 2003 water heater who
outside is barely warm to the touch (if at all). Would there still be
any measurably signiicant benefit to wrapping it in a water heater
blanket or is it already well insulated enough?

Thanks!

Your ROI, return on investment is minimal for either of these in an
unfinished basement. *Heat rises.

True about heat risin but still the 5 sides (floors & walls) are
uninsulated stone & concrete so doesn't heat radiate there too. Even if
"most" goes up into the house, doesn't the rest go out?

Heat also radiates downward and in all directions. A warm upstairs
is still heating the downstairs, somewhat.

Insulating the basement will reduce overall energy consumption.- Hide quoted text -

unless it allows the basement to get too cold and freeze water using
appliances and lines