Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater blanket for furnace supply plenum?

We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The furnace itself is
cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part
is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated.

Since the furance is in our unfinished basement, it seems logical to
insulate the plenum right?

- Would a water heater blanket work well to insulate the plenum?
- Any other suggestions for insultating material? (I know regular
fiberglass batts are cheaper but I don't know if they are rated for
contact with a supply plenum)?

Also as a related question, we have a circa 2003 water heater who
outside is barely warm to the touch (if at all). Would there still be
any measurably signiicant benefit to wrapping it in a water heater
blanket or is it already well insulated enough?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The furnace itself is
cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part
is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated.

Since the furance is in our unfinished basement, it seems logical to
insulate the plenum right?

- Would a water heater blanket work well to insulate the plenum?
- Any other suggestions for insultating material? (I know regular
fiberglass batts are cheaper but I don't know if they are rated for
contact with a supply plenum)?

Also as a related question, we have a circa 2003 water heater who
outside is barely warm to the touch (if at all). Would there still be
any measurably signiicant benefit to wrapping it in a water heater
blanket or is it already well insulated enough?

*There is insulation made for ducts. You can usually buy a roll at a
plumbing supply. I have seen small rolls at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The furnace itself is
cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part
is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated.

Since the furance is in our unfinished basement, it seems logical to
insulate the plenum right?

- Would a water heater blanket work well to insulate the plenum?
- Any other suggestions for insultating material? (I know regular
fiberglass batts are cheaper but I don't know if they are rated for
contact with a supply plenum)?

Also as a related question, we have a circa 2003 water heater who
outside is barely warm to the touch (if at all). Would there still be
any measurably signiicant benefit to wrapping it in a water heater
blanket or is it already well insulated enough?

Thanks!

Your ROI, return on investment is minimal for either of these in an
unfinished basement. Heat rises.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

True about heat risin but still the 5 sides (floors & walls) are
uninsulated stone & concrete so doesn't heat radiate there too. Even if
"most" goes up into the house, doesn't the rest go out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 3:31*pm, blueman wrote:
"Colbyt" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

"most" goes up into the house, doesn't the rest go out?- Hide quoted text -

I would like warm floors and insulate around the perimeter of the
basement/crawl space.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Nov 7, 4:31*pm, blueman wrote:
"Colbyt" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Heat also radiates downward and in all directions. A warm upstairs
is still heating the downstairs, somewhat.

Insulating the basement will reduce overall energy consumption.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 3:56*pm, zek wrote:
On Nov 7, 4:31*pm, blueman wrote:

"Colbyt" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Insulating the basement will reduce overall energy consumption.- Hide quoted text -

unless it allows the basement to get too cold and freeze water using
appliances and lines
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 16:14:56 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 9, 3:56Â*pm, zek wrote:
On Nov 7, 4:31Â*pm, blueman wrote:

"Colbyt" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The Â*furnace itself is
cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part
is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated.

Since the furance is in our unfinished basement, it seems logical to
insulate the plenum right?

- Would a water heater blanket work well to insulate the plenum?
- Any other suggestions for insultating material? (I know regular
Â*fiberglass batts are cheaper but I don't know if they are rated for
Â*contact with a supply plenum)?

Also as a related question, we have a circa 2003 water heater who
outside is barely warm to the touch (if at all). Would there still be
any measurably signiicant benefit to wrapping it in a water heater
blanket or is it already well insulated enough?

Thanks!

Your ROI, return on investment is minimal for either of these in an
unfinished basement. Â*Heat rises.

True about heat risin but still the 5 sides (floors & walls) are
uninsulated stone & concrete so doesn't heat radiate there too. Even if
"most" goes up into the house, doesn't the rest go out?

Heat also radiates downward and in all directions. A warm upstairs
is still heating the downstairs, somewhat.

Insulating the basement will reduce overall energy consumption.- Hide quoted text -

unless it allows the basement to get too cold and freeze water using
appliances and lines

And HOW can insulating the basement allow the pipes to freeze when
they don't in a non-insulated basement????
We are not tlaking insulating the loor between the basement and the
main floor - we are talking insulating the outside walls of the
basement - keeping the heat in. Thia way any heat lost by the furnace,
hot water heater, duct work, etc - as well as heat lost through the
floor, goes to heat the basement - keeping the floors warmer and
reducing overal heating costs.

How to tape water heater insulation blanket David Haardt Home Repair 5 February 14th 10 01:44 AM
Insulating furnace supply plenum? blueman Home Repair 1 January 14th 10 01:25 AM
New water heater, need a blanket? Zz Yzx Home Repair 8 December 22nd 06 09:58 PM
WATER HEATER BLANKET Home Repair 9 October 23rd 06 10:02 PM
80 gallon water heater blanket [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 17th 06 08:01 PM