Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default The $4K Wood Shop

On 11/9/2010 1:00 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/9/2010 6:41 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 9, 8:39 am, wrote:
On Nov 9, 8:03 am, wrote:

Having recently had a minor windfall, I decided to splurge and finally
round out my budding shop. I have a budget of about $4K, and the
entries below add up to about $3K. The rest will go on odds and ends,
lumber, and anything that I may have missed.

My shop is half of a two-car garage. I already have a table saw and
miter saw (both poor quality), clipped

If your table saw is poor quality, look there first. IMHO

Ditto that. I had a Crapsman TS and upgraded to a Delta. I thought the
Crapsman was adequate until I got the Delta. The difference was simply
astonishing.

For the original poster. You said you have an older table saw, but you
gave no details.

Don't confuse the comments on the recent Craftsman table saws with the
10" Craftsman saws of the 50's and 60's. If you do it is like
comparing a Walmart special to a Delta.

If you have a 50's or 60's table saw it will serve your purpose and
probably have less plastic than the current expensive saws.

I have a 1968 10" Craftsman table saw that I inherited. My father inlaw
was going to a lot of woodworking and bought the best they had. I
aligned it once, and have not had to make any adjustments since.

Do have to keep a good coat of wax on the cast iron top, but it looks
like new.