Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default HF (metal) 95 LED flashlight, reviewed

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 00:35:12 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

That's downright lousy battery mileage, Steve. I seldom find a reason
for spotlight brightness and like the longer mileage I get from the
single LED in my minimag. I only use it for ten minutes at a time and
get years on one set. Dunno how long it'll burn in one go. Anyone?
NiteIze conversion 2AA minimaglite.

Depends on what you expect from the light. Mine get serious abuse and
use so I change out batteries at the first hint of possible problems.
The thought of being in a burning building at 02:00 and having a light
fail because of a dead battery is not comforting,

Yeah, I keep a Surefire-type next to my bed in case I need to blind
burgurgulars while I get out my pistola and/or rifle, or get my
shoes/jacket on while I climb out a window in case of a fire. There is
also a pair of headlamps (incan and LED) there for backups.

And I keep flashlights in every room of the house, usually both an
incan headlamp and an LED handheld type. They're seldom used for more
than a couple minutes at a time. I change out batteries when they
look a bit dim, but keep a stock of 20+ AA and AAA, plus a few D and
9v in a drawer in the kitchen (having seen no difference in lifetime
using fridge storage.)

I have two wall mounted storage racks that hold AAA,AA,C,D,9V. I tried
the fridge/freezer route as well. It may help with old style carbon
cells but never seen it with better cells.

I also have two LED booklights I use when reading books during a power
failure. Those are used for hours at a time.

neither is standing in
moving traffic and having your director wand die during those nice dark
winter nights when the snow is falling and you can't see 10 feet...

What're you doing out waving your wand in the snow?

Most of the time I am pretending to be a traffic cone ;-)
The real answer - Traffic control at accident and fire scenes. I am a
Fire Police Officer as well as being a Captain. When I'm not needed in
other areas I am in charge of the security of the emergency scene.
Always seems that during the really crappy weather the loonies come out
and try to run down emergency workers.

The house lights on the other hand usually get new ones when the ones
inside drop off the green scale on my tester.

I can see that "out of the green scale" condition by eye and change
out then, too.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

--
Steve W.