Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF (metal) 95 LED flashlight, reviewed

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=8507#review1665

Review by Stormin Mormon on November 7th, 2010

Bought one, tonight. Comes with a set of batteries. With
a plastic spacer, so the cheap carbon cell batteries don't
go dead in the package. Draws about .490 or so amps,
which is reasonable. I had to unscrew the head, and stretch
the long spring (you'll see it) cause it wasn't making
electrical contact dependably. The threads are coarse.
I put some grease on the tail cap threads. Don't lube the
light head threads -- don't want those to come loose. The
push button is 95 LED or off. (The older style 15 LED
button gives 5, 15, or off.) The light spot is even, and
about 3 feet diameter across a room, at about 15 foot
range. In a dark basketball court, the light circle is about
1/2 width of a court, at full court length. The light is
mostly white, with a trace of blue. On sale with 20%
coupon, for $16 the light is a good value. The light
does not focus, no surprise. I would not pay $30 for
this light; I'd go buy a real Mag light for $20 and ten
bucks worth of alkaline batteries.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 22:46:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

..490 amps at 4.5 volts (three fresh D cells) is 2.2 watts. A single
Luxeon or Cree LED with a suitable reflector or refractor would make a
considerably better flashlight.

Lookin' at made-in-China economy, as in support your outsourcer with
your biz and hope for change in unemployment while our prez is
kissing asses in India and Asia, 95 LED's running on 4.5 volts at
..490 amps is still ridiculous. That's 23 milliwatts per LED. Even
ordinary 5mm white LED's can handle 160 milliwatts each, no problem. I
doubt that this flashlight provides any better illumination than one
with 10 LED's, running off of 3 AAA cells, available for 5 bux.

There is a 3-watt Luxeon "bulb" replacement available for Mag lights.
It's a drop in, and the performance is quite impressive. They're
available at Wal-Mart.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Check out the 3 pack of LED flashlights at Costco. $18 or so. They
have Cree LED's. (at least the 2 pack did.)
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 01:45:48 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Lookin' at made-in-China economy, as in support your outsourcer with
your biz and hope for change in unemployment while our prez is
kissing asses in India and Asia,

WTF is he doing there, telling them how he'll allow 4,000% more Moslem
H1B workers (with specially insulated vests and timers) to enter the
country between now and his total demise in 2012?

95 LED's running on 4.5 volts at
.490 amps is still ridiculous. That's 23 milliwatts per LED. Even
ordinary 5mm white LED's can handle 160 milliwatts each, no problem. I
doubt that this flashlight provides any better illumination than one
with 10 LED's, running off of 3 AAA cells, available for 5 bux.

There is a 3-watt Luxeon "bulb" replacement available for Mag lights.
It's a drop in, and the performance is quite impressive. They're
available at Wal-Mart.

I got the regular white LED replacement for my maglite and love it.

Q: How long do 2AA maglite batteries last with a 3W Luxeon in 'em?

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Lookin' at made-in-China economy, as in support your outsourcer with
your biz and hope for change in unemployment while our prez is
kissing asses in India and Asia,

WTF is he doing there, telling them how he'll allow 4,000% more Moslem
H1B workers (with specially insulated vests and timers) to enter the
country between now and his total demise in 2012?

He's a joke and an embarassment.

95 LED's running on 4.5 volts at
.490 amps is still ridiculous. That's 23 milliwatts per LED. Even
ordinary 5mm white LED's can handle 160 milliwatts each, no problem. I
doubt that this flashlight provides any better illumination than one
with 10 LED's, running off of 3 AAA cells, available for 5 bux.

There is a 3-watt Luxeon "bulb" replacement available for Mag lights.
It's a drop in, and the performance is quite impressive. They're
available at Wal-Mart.

I got the regular white LED replacement for my maglite and love it.

Q: How long do 2AA maglite batteries last with a 3W Luxeon in 'em?

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Q: How long do 2AA maglite batteries last with a 3W Luxeon in 'em?

About an hour?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Q: How long do 2AA maglite batteries last with a 3W Luxeon in 'em?

About an hour?

I have a LED maglight, it starts acting like there is corrosion or something when the
batter drops. Tap it, lights up and goes out.

Then I have a Coleman LED light, it stays on forever but it dims over the whole time. When
the batteries are fresh, it out clases my maglight.

Since I'm dreaming, I'd like to have a LED light that near the end of battery life gives
blink codes by muting the led on how close you are getting to lights out.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do have a couple of the three watt bulbs. The ones that came
installed are crisp pure white. The ones sold separately have a blue
tint. In any case, the 95 LED was a "what the heck and try it out"
purchase. I don't reccomend it to anyone. Like I say, with $30 I'd buy
a mag, and a couple box of batteries.

Having used 9 LED lights with three AAA cells, I assure you the 95 LED
has at least two or three f'stops more light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

..490 amps at 4.5 volts (three fresh D cells) is 2.2 watts. A single
Luxeon or Cree LED with a suitable reflector or refractor would make a
considerably better flashlight.

Lookin' at made-in-China economy, as in support your outsourcer with
your biz and hope for change in unemployment while our prez is
kissing asses in India and Asia, 95 LED's running on 4.5 volts at
..490 amps is still ridiculous. That's 23 milliwatts per LED. Even
ordinary 5mm white LED's can handle 160 milliwatts each, no problem. I
doubt that this flashlight provides any better illumination than one
with 10 LED's, running off of 3 AAA cells, available for 5 bux.

There is a 3-watt Luxeon "bulb" replacement available for Mag lights.
It's a drop in, and the performance is quite impressive. They're
available at Wal-Mart.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow! Sadly, I don't live any where near a Costco.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Check out the 3 pack of LED flashlights at Costco. $18 or so. They
have Cree LED's. (at least the 2 pack did.)
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lookin' at made-in-China economy, as in support your outsourcer with
your biz and hope for change in unemployment while our prez is
kissing asses in India and Asia,

WTF is he doing there, telling them how he'll allow 4,000% more Moslem
H1B workers (with specially insulated vests and timers) to enter the
country between now and his total demise in 2012?

CY: I suspect B'ho is operating as a lame duct. He's also a Muslim
first and foremost.

95 LED's running on 4.5 volts at
.490 amps is still ridiculous. That's 23 milliwatts per LED. Even
ordinary 5mm white LED's can handle 160 milliwatts each, no problem.
doubt that this flashlight provides any better illumination than one
with 10 LED's, running off of 3 AAA cells, available for 5 bux.

There is a 3-watt Luxeon "bulb" replacement available for Mag lights.
It's a drop in, and the performance is quite impressive. They're
available at Wal-Mart.

I got the regular white LED replacement for my maglite and love it.

CY: Such is good.

Q: How long do 2AA maglite batteries last with a 3W Luxeon in 'em?

CY: I'd guess about two or three hours, if used continuous. Longer if
used a blink at a time.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a LED maglight, it starts acting like there is corrosion or
something when the
batter drops. Tap it, lights up and goes out.

CY: Bizarre.

Then I have a Coleman LED light, it stays on forever but it dims over
the whole time. When
the batteries are fresh, it out clases my maglight.

CY: Good stuff.

Since I'm dreaming, I'd like to have a LED light that near the end of
battery life gives
blink codes by muting the led on how close you are getting to lights
out.

CY: Opalec conversion for the 2aa minimag. Had a red LED that came on
when there was about five hours of light left.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

(...)

Since I'm dreaming, I'd like to have a LED light that near the end of battery life gives
blink codes by muting the led on how close you are getting to lights out.

You have it already. Just read the 'Inverted Morse'.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We have several mini-mag lights for the boat.
All have the LED replacement bulb installed.

For me (in that environment anyway) it's not about having
an extremely bright light, but just always having light
when and where it's needed.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Q: How long do 2AA maglite batteries last with a 3W Luxeon in 'em?

About an hour?

I have a LED maglight, it starts acting like there is corrosion or something when the
batter drops. Tap it, lights up and goes out.

Then I have a Coleman LED light, it stays on forever but it dims over the whole time. When
the batteries are fresh, it out clases my maglight.

Since I'm dreaming, I'd like to have a LED light that near the end of battery life gives
blink codes by muting the led on how close you are getting to lights out.

Wes

I have a "few" lights around. At least 4 Mag lights in 3D size, a couple
in 2D, about 6 of the 2AA mini mags all with LED conversion and switch
style tailcaps. 4 Coleman 2AA LED, A couple Brinkman 2D LED units (they
get traffic duty a LOT as the director cones fit them well and they are
BRIGHT) Plus at least 3 Surefire lights. One is the older Xenon bulb and
is on a shotgun, another is the new LED unit that also strobes and
changes colors to disorient the target. The last is mounted on my fire
helmet.

Out of them all the Surefires have the lowest battery life. They are
also putting out a LOT of light from a tiny package.
they will run about 1 hour before they start to dim and at 2 hours they
are about as good as a candle.
3 cell mags are the next on the list, they start to dim and die at about
2 hours.
The 2D Brinkmans last a LONG time. one set of batteries will go 4 plus
hours before you have to swap them out. I keep them loaded with lithium
so they will be ready as needed and not have dead batteries just from
sitting around.
The 2AA Colemans last a long time as well. Like Wes says with new batts
they are VERY bright and they are small and handy. Plus if you dab a
coating of sealer over the switch and dab some thick grease on the
threads they will work underwater down to about 20 feet. Found that out
when a diver showed me that he uses one a lot.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 20:35:19 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

That's downright lousy battery mileage, Steve. I seldom find a reason
for spotlight brightness and like the longer mileage I get from the
single LED in my minimag. I only use it for ten minutes at a time and
get years on one set. Dunno how long it'll burn in one go. Anyone?
NiteIze conversion 2AA minimaglite.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-08, Wes wrote:

[ ... ]

Since I'm dreaming, I'd like to have a LED light that near the end of battery life gives
blink codes by muting the led on how close you are getting to lights out.

Yes -- *that* is needed, because you don't get the shift towards
orange which the incandescent lamps give to warn you of lowering voltage.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Depends on what you expect from the light. Mine get serious abuse and
use so I change out batteries at the first hint of possible problems.
The thought of being in a burning building at 02:00 and having a light
fail because of a dead battery is not comforting, neither is standing in
moving traffic and having your director wand die during those nice dark
winter nights when the snow is falling and you can't see 10 feet...

The house lights on the other hand usually get new ones when the ones
inside drop off the green scale on my tester.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 00:35:12 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

That's downright lousy battery mileage, Steve. I seldom find a reason
for spotlight brightness and like the longer mileage I get from the
single LED in my minimag. I only use it for ten minutes at a time and
get years on one set. Dunno how long it'll burn in one go. Anyone?
NiteIze conversion 2AA minimaglite.

Depends on what you expect from the light. Mine get serious abuse and
use so I change out batteries at the first hint of possible problems.
The thought of being in a burning building at 02:00 and having a light
fail because of a dead battery is not comforting,

Yeah, I keep a Surefire-type next to my bed in case I need to blind
burgurgulars while I get out my pistola and/or rifle, or get my
shoes/jacket on while I climb out a window in case of a fire. There is
also a pair of headlamps (incan and LED) there for backups.

And I keep flashlights in every room of the house, usually both an
incan headlamp and an LED handheld type. They're seldom used for more
than a couple minutes at a time. I change out batteries when they
look a bit dim, but keep a stock of 20+ AA and AAA, plus a few D and
9v in a drawer in the kitchen (having seen no difference in lifetime
using fridge storage.)

I also have two LED booklights I use when reading books during a power
failure. Those are used for hours at a time.

neither is standing in
moving traffic and having your director wand die during those nice dark
winter nights when the snow is falling and you can't see 10 feet...

What're you doing out waving your wand in the snow?

The house lights on the other hand usually get new ones when the ones
inside drop off the green scale on my tester.

I can see that "out of the green scale" condition by eye and change
out then, too.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For working indoors, the LED mini mags are awesome. Less useful for
light at a long distance. Have you tried strap on headlamps? I own
several, and really love them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
We have several mini-mag lights for the boat.
All have the LED replacement bulb installed.

For me (in that environment anyway) it's not about having
an extremely bright light, but just always having light
when and where it's needed.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I have two wall mounted storage racks that hold AAA,AA,C,D,9V. I tried
the fridge/freezer route as well. It may help with old style carbon
cells but never seen it with better cells.

I also have two LED booklights I use when reading books during a power
failure. Those are used for hours at a time.

neither is standing in
moving traffic and having your director wand die during those nice dark
winter nights when the snow is falling and you can't see 10 feet...

What're you doing out waving your wand in the snow?

Most of the time I am pretending to be a traffic cone ;-)
The real answer - Traffic control at accident and fire scenes. I am a
Fire Police Officer as well as being a Captain. When I'm not needed in
other areas I am in charge of the security of the emergency scene.
Always seems that during the really crappy weather the loonies come out
and try to run down emergency workers.

The house lights on the other hand usually get new ones when the ones
inside drop off the green scale on my tester.

I can see that "out of the green scale" condition by eye and change
out then, too.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:28:15 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

For working indoors, the LED mini mags are awesome. Less useful for
light at a long distance. Have you tried strap on headlamps? I own
several, and really love them.

I have a dual LED/halogen Petzl and it's a great piece of equipment,
especially if you're doing inherently dangerous things like night
climbing. Really nicely made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
For working indoors, the LED mini mags are awesome. Less useful for
light at a long distance. Have you tried strap on headlamps? I own
several, and really love them.

I won't allow them aboard my boat!

One of my friends can't see well at night and uses that rig when he
sails at night. But he is constantly blinding everybody else.

But sure, ashore, it's not so critical.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My sister used to do some camping and such. She likes Petzl brand. Me,
well, it sounds a bit too close to "pretzel".

My favorite headlamp is the black and yellow one from Harbor Freight.
Rip out the reflector, and filament bulb. Put in a 2AA Nite Ize
conversion module.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

I have a dual LED/halogen Petzl and it's a great piece of equipment,
especially if you're doing inherently dangerous things like night
climbing. Really nicely made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's a question of learning how to use it. Not shining it in others
faces, for example.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
For working indoors, the LED mini mags are awesome. Less useful for
light at a long distance. Have you tried strap on headlamps? I own
several, and really love them.

I won't allow them aboard my boat!

One of my friends can't see well at night and uses that rig when he
sails at night. But he is constantly blinding everybody else.

But sure, ashore, it's not so critical.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
It's a question of learning how to use it. Not shining it in others
faces, for example.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
For working indoors, the LED mini mags are awesome. Less useful for
light at a long distance. Have you tried strap on headlamps? I own
several, and really love them.

I won't allow them aboard my boat!

One of my friends can't see well at night and uses that rig when he
sails at night. But he is constantly blinding everybody else.

But sure, ashore, it's not so critical.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:
web site:
www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Kind of like learning how to use a newsreader and not top posting, eh?