Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

In ,
Jeff Thies typed:
On 11/5/2010 3:32 PM, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE
set of any size if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a
9/16?

I've never used, or needed a 9. 10 and 11 is very common.
16's are often missing also, a greater chance of needing
that then a 9.
There is nothing magic in having one of every whole
number. I'd rather have an extended range than interim
sizes I will never need.
Jeff

I remembered to check this out since I seemed to remember "9" as a metric
socket size. They're old, but I have a 9 and all the way through 16 in both
open-end wrench sets and both socket sets. IIRC I think I've used the 9 for
somethiing on my Trailblazer; pretty sure, not positive. My metric-sae chart
also includes 9. I suspect it depends on "how metric" the product is that
you're working on. Cars & trucks these days seem to be all metric - the days
of only 3/8" and 9/16" only are gone. They need to go back to mostly common
sizes in metric like sae used to be; then you could outfit a diy toolbox
with 4 or 5 wrence/socket sets. My sae goes from 3/16" up to 15\16" in 1/16"
steps except for a couple 1/32" in the smaller ones. Perhaps the differences
are industrial/commercal/residential grades of the tools.

HTH,

Twayne`