Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

On 2010-11-06, wrote:

And I've worked on British, German, French, Italian, American,
Russian,French, Korean, Mexican, Canadian, as well as a few other,
vehicles.

I'm not seeing Japanese in there. I cut my teeth on Japanese
motorcycles in the early 70s and gar-own-damn-tee you 12mm is as
common a fastener size on those things as teriyaki sauce on salmon.
So much so, I wondered if it was possible to have 12 and 13mm open end
wrench heads grafted on my fingertips.

either. Mabee brake bleeder screws.....

That sounds strangely familiar

And Chinese?????? a 9mm wrench might fit something that was SUPPOSED
to be either 8 or 10.

Howzabout them Puchs and CZs? Weird sizes on those babies. These
later global-parts cars are also a hoot. No telling what you'll find
on them.

True Story:

I worked on Puch "twingle" (Allstate 250), with 4 square-head head
bolts. I'd borrowed a gorgeous set of Snap-On combo wrenches from a
trusting acquaintance. I discovered I could only get to the square
10mm bolt heads, buried deep between the cooling fins, by using the
open-end wrench end-wise. IOW, the open-end slipped over the sqr head
from the top, the wrench shaft sticking straight out along the same
center axis as the bolt shaft. I then used an adjustable wrench
(Crescent) to grab the 10mm wrench shaft at a 90deg angle to turn the
open-end wrench. Got the picture?

I broke 3 bolts loose no problem. The 4th was a bit more stubborn. I
kept at it, putting more and more torque on the little 10mm wrench.
When the last bolt finally broke loose, I was relieved, but then
immediately horrified to discover the Snap-On 10mm wrench shaft was
now permenently twisted 45deg from its open-end wrench head. Yikes!
This was a borrowed $300+ wrench set. How could I explain it?

I did the repair and quickly reassembled the engine. As I retorqued
the head bolts back down, I put enough pressure on each bolt to
attempt re-twisting the 10mm wrench shaft back to its original
straight form. When I finished, it appeared to have worked, as
planned. The wrench shaft appeared perfectly aligned, again, and
no worse for wear. I even told my buddy the whole bizarre story and
told him if he could identify which wrench I'd deformed and then
reformed, I would replace it. He couldn't!

Point of story? That's the difference between quality tools and
junk. Pay the $$$ for quality. You'll never regret it.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-06, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

11/16 works well on a 17mm nut. Over time though, any wrench used on the
wrong size will eventually damage the nut or bolt head. OK in an emergency,
but only a hack would do it on a regular basis.

....or a po' boy, who can't afford the luxury of a whole roll-away w/ two
different standards of wrench sets!

When I was jes a young cuss, I used to delight on how much I
could do with how little. I swear, I could almost tear down my first
real motorcycle, a Matchless 500 thumper, with a couple crescent (adj)
wrenches, a hammer, and a pair of channel-locks.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-06, wrote:

Is there another Metric standard incommon use???

Kluge?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-06, willshak wrote:

SAE. One of my 14mm open end wrenches from one company is 14.5mm, and
one from another company is 14.25mm. If you have a pair of inside
calipers, and more than one brand of wrenches, check it yourself.

Sounds like a quality issue. It's been my experience, Japan makes a
lotta great stuff. Mechanics tools are not among them. Use a
Japanese 14.25mm open-end wrench a few times and it WILL become 14.5!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 00:14:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 11/5/2010 8:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In om,
wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they
came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady
would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo.
The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going to
sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great names
have been rejected on that count.

I knew a couple of girls who owned a dog named Dammit. Come here Dammit!
Get down Dammit! Stop licking me Dammit! The last one was yelled at me
too. 8-)

Not "go down Dammit!"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 3:42*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

No. Whitworth was used on buildings and heavy engineering once upon a
time.
British Standard Fine and Across Flats on cars and bikes in days of
yore. All metric now.

Whitworth made the first interchangeable and scientifically designed
nuts and bolts, also invented other engineering techniques we take for
granted today, also machinery, guns and artillery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Whitworth
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-06, wrote:

And I've worked on British, German, French, Italian, American,
Russian,French, Korean, Mexican, Canadian, as well as a few other,
vehicles.

I'm not seeing Japanese in there. I cut my teeth on Japanese
motorcycles in the early 70s and gar-own-damn-tee you 12mm is as
common a fastener size on those things as teriyaki sauce on salmon.
So much so, I wondered if it was possible to have 12 and 13mm open end
wrench heads grafted on my fingertips.

Forgot the biggest one - 10 years as Toyota mservice manager, and
another several as Toyota mechanic. As service manager, I was a
WORKING service manager for most of the time - on the bench about half
time.
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I had to check my set from Canadian Tire (Mastercraft)

4mm - 13mm in 1/4" socket wrench
10mm, 12mm - 19mm in 1/2" socket wrench

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 3:32 PM, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I've never used, or needed a 9. 10 and 11 is very common. 16's are
often missing also, a greater chance of needing that then a 9.

There is nothing magic in having one of every whole number. I'd
rather have an extended range than interim sizes I will never need.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 11:20 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:
8,10,12 and 14mm are common on Japanese motorcycles. Most odd metric
sizes are not uncommon either.
I don't recall EVER running across a 9mm bolt anywhere, but I could be
wrong.

On the other hand I have a cheap socket set that not only has 9mm, but
4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and I think 7.5... They're a waste of space for the most
part.

You might come across those odd metric sizes in imported electrical and
electronic items. I see odd sizes in tape players, VCR's and other types
of electromechanical gadgets.

Some of the half sizes, but a 9MM?

Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 8:00 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

On Nov 5, 7:01 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 GMT, Red
wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any
size

if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

When's the last time you really needed a 9mm wrench? In the Ansi/ISO
standard there is only 7,8,10,13,16,18,21,24,and 30
The German (Predominantly) DIN standard has only
7,8,10,11,13,17,19,22,24,27, and 30mm
The Japanese (JIS) standard uses only 7,8,10,11,12,14,17,19,and 22.

Someplace someone has slipped in a 15mm, as it is included in some
metric tool sets - so why would you want a 9 mm wrench. It doesn't
even match up to a fractional size, falling between 3/32" and 23/64"

Ummm, wouldn't that be the exact reason that you'd want a particular
size wrench? Nothing else fits!

There was a farmer who had a dog, And Bingo was his name-O. B-I-N-G-O! B-
I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! ...

But there are no 9mm bolts or nuts. If it is "buggered", you'd
probably go after it with something else. Who would make a bolt that
there were no tools for?

Jeff

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jeff Thies typed:
On 11/5/2010 3:32 PM, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE
set of any size if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a
9/16?

I've never used, or needed a 9. 10 and 11 is very common.
16's are often missing also, a greater chance of needing
that then a 9.
There is nothing magic in having one of every whole
number. I'd rather have an extended range than interim
sizes I will never need.
Jeff

I remembered to check this out since I seemed to remember "9" as a metric
socket size. They're old, but I have a 9 and all the way through 16 in both
open-end wrench sets and both socket sets. IIRC I think I've used the 9 for
somethiing on my Trailblazer; pretty sure, not positive. My metric-sae chart
also includes 9. I suspect it depends on "how metric" the product is that
you're working on. Cars & trucks these days seem to be all metric - the days
of only 3/8" and 9/16" only are gone. They need to go back to mostly common
sizes in metric like sae used to be; then you could outfit a diy toolbox
with 4 or 5 wrence/socket sets. My sae goes from 3/16" up to 15\16" in 1/16"
steps except for a couple 1/32" in the smaller ones. Perhaps the differences
are industrial/commercal/residential grades of the tools.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 9:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In om,
wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they
came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady
would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo.
The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going to
sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great names
have been rejected on that count.

I've only known one cat to know her name, "Spot". After a while
though, all the cats would come running, looking for a treat.

Since Spot is now gone, I just call out "breakfast", and they all
have figured out what that means!

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked
how they came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but
when the lady would go out at night to call the dog she was
hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo. The neighbors thought she was wacky
SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going
to sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great
names have been rejected on that count.

I've only known one cat to know her name, "Spot". After a while
though, all the cats would come running, looking for a treat.

Since Spot is now gone, I just call out "breakfast", and they all
have figured out what that means!

Jeff

every one of my cats knows and comes to their name, and they don't get fed
until they obey 'sit'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked
how they came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but
when the lady would go out at night to call the dog she was
hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo. The neighbors thought she was wacky
SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going
to sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great
names have been rejected on that count.

I've only known one cat to know her name, "Spot". After a while
though, all the cats would come running, looking for a treat.

Since Spot is now gone, I just call out "breakfast", and they all
have figured out what that means!

Jeff

every one of my cats knows and comes to their name, and they don't get fed
until they obey 'sit'.

That's pretty good. How did you do that? It must have been the not
getting fed part!

I'm currently amazed at what a cat will do for a "Party Mix" treat.
Have you ever seen Dominique and his trained House Cats?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how
they
came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady
would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo
Bingo.
The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing
arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going to
sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great names
have been rejected on that count.

I've only known one cat to know her name, "Spot". After a while though,
all the cats would come running, looking for a treat.

Since Spot is now gone, I just call out "breakfast", and they all have
figured out what that means!

Jeff

Words are not needed with cats. Just stick an arm out the door, holding
the box of dry kibble, and shake it real hard. They will come running
from half a block away- that sound is imprinted on them. (Assuming you
raised them eating the cheap stuff, of course.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

A rusty 17mm nut may need the next size up wrench in order to be able to fit it, I've had this happen, its not bad idea to have those odd size wrenches

Posted to alt.home.repair

A rusty 17mm nut may need the next size up wrench in order to be
able to fit it, I've had this happen, its not bad idea to have those
odd size wrenches

If a nut is so rusty you can't get the correct wrench to fit, it's probably
time to take other measures. Wire brush the rust, apply penetrating oil,
maybe apply heat, use vice grips, etc.

I've worked on vehicles using every one of them (not all on the same
vehicle) - I'd have been totally lost without a minimum of 8, 10, 12,
13, 14, 15, 17, 18. 19, and 21 mm
On Toyotas the 11 and 13 and 18 were not required - on American iron
the 10 and 12 are pretty much redundant - along with the 17, I
believe.

On Volkswagens, the most used wrench sizes are 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, and
19mm.

However, brake bleeders require a 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm wrench, depending
on the brand and location of the bleeder.

I also need an 11mm wrench to remove my carburetor cover.

I think the front strut nuts need a 22mm wrench.

12mm, 14mm, and 18mm are probably the sizes I use the least, but
occasionally I'll run across a fastener than needs those too.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 04:09:07 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

On Volkswagens, the most used wrench sizes are 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm, and
19mm.

However, brake bleeders require a 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, or 10mm wrench, depending
on the brand and location of the bleeder.

I also need an 11mm wrench to remove my carburetor cover.

I think the front strut nuts need a 22mm wrench.

12mm, 14mm, and 18mm are probably the sizes I use the least, but
occasionally I'll run across a fastener than needs those too.

Anthony Watson

You never mentioned the 16mm. My set lacked that one, and I have needed
that one numerous times. I found a few others that were missing. One day
I just bought all the individual wrench sizes that my set lacked, and
made a complete set. I did that for my box wrenches, sockets and nut
drivers. I dont think I've ever found a complete metric set in the
stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 11:36:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:30:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/12/2016 8:21 PM, wrote:
A rusty 17mm nut may need the next size up wrench in order to be able to fit it, I've had this happen, its not bad idea to have those odd size wrenches

How often has it happened? Started using metric tools about 1970 and
have not needed one yet so I see no reason to buy a tool I don't ever
need. Use an adjustable or pipe wrench once every 10 years that you
need it. Be sure to get a metric adjustable .

There are at leat 3 metric "standards" and each uses a few different
sized bolts, and different head sizes You have the German DIN system,
the Japanese SI and the American ANSI/ASME

The SI is actually common pretty much world wide except America and
Germany - there are exceptions.

Depending on the market you may get 10mm and not 11, you may or may
not get either 12 or 13mm, and 17 or 18mm - and some get 15, others do
not.

I've worked on vehicles using every one of them (not all on the same
vehicle) - I'd have been totally lost without a minimum of 8, 10, 12,
13, 14, 15, 17, 18. 19, and 21 mm
On Toyotas the 11 and 13 and 18 were not required - on American iron
the 10 and 12 are pretty much redundant - along with the 17, I
believe.

What does "the 10 and 12 are pretty much redundant" mean?

How does "redundant" apply in that context?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You never mentioned the 16mm. My set lacked that one, and I have
needed that one numerous times.

Oops, yep, I guess I forgot the 16mm. I don't have a wrench that size, and
apparently have never encountered a nut or bolt that needed it.

One day I just bought all the individual wrench sizes that my
set lacked, and made a complete set.

I have a full set ranging from 7mm through 15mm. Then I have 17mm, 19mm,
and 22mm. That seeems to cover everything I work on.

I also inherited a small collection of imperial wrench sizes from my step
dad (maybe 5-7 wrenches total). I don't use those much, but every now and
then they come in handy.

My 6-sided sockets are more complete, running from 4mm all the way up to
30mm for my axle nut.

I bought wrenches and sockets over time as I needed them. So the collection
I have seems to accomodate everything I'm working on, and I didn't spend
money on sizes I never use.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-09-13, wrote:

I dont think I've ever found a complete metric set in the
stores.

The stores all carry Asian junk. Even NAPA. Online is a different
matter:

****OR****

http://tinyurl.com/hoxcteb

My first metric socket set was an S-K set (45+ yrs ago). I don't
recall any missing sizes.

nb

But do you recall there NOT being any missing sizes? Where were you on
the night of June 17, 1965?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving,alt.usenet.kooks

Default DICK WADDIE AXES, "Why do they skip sizes of metric wrenches?'

On 9/12/2016 5:21 PM, dick waddie axed:
A rusty 17mm nut may need the next size up wrench in order to be able to fit it. I've had this happen; its not bad idea to have those odd size wrenches.

Er, well....thanks a lot for that question(?), Dick.
I believe the answer has something to do with the Ornamentals having
smaller genitals compared to Occidentals.
Any questions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2016 8:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing he means "common".

I've often been able to use one of the standard sizes in place of the
less common metric sizes such as 18mm. Otherwise, an adjustable wrench
has saved me, though, in some tight spots, it's not always the answer.
Overall, I nice ratchet/socket set with all sizes usually suffices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2016 8:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was guessing they are a close match to SAE sizes, although that took
some guesswork. At first I thought he was saying 10 and 12 were about
the same thing and could be used interchangeably, which makes no sense.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wr...on-d_1607.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2016 8:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

Never used. - or very VERY seldom used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/13/2016 01:19 PM, Meanie wrote:
WHAT? The all American made motorcycle? I'm shocked!

Except for the forks, carb, battery, probably the tires, the horn, and a
few other minor pieces... Most of the bling in the boutique is from China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My first metric socket set was an S-K set (45+ yrs ago).
I don't recall any missing sizes.

That's funny, my first metric socket set was S-K brand too. They were the
first tools I bought when I started driving. I think I may still have one
or two of those sockets left. They were fairly good quality compared to the
cheap bargain store sockets my step-dad always bought.

Most of my hand tools now are Craftsman's that I've had for 30 years or
more.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've often been able to use one of the standard sizes in place of the
less common metric sizes such as 18mm.

Yep, same here. I have an imperial socket that fits the nut on my VW
steering wheel. I'm sure it must be a metric size, but I inherited the
imperial socket from my step-dad and it works fine. So I've never bothered
tracking down the metric socket.

Sometimes a nut will be deformed just slightly so that the actual metric
socket doesn't fit, but an imperial size will. Six point sockets are much
better for this sort of thing than 12 point sockets.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harley uses some Japanese (or other Pacific Rim) sourced parts that
WILL have 10mm heads on 6mm bolts.

WHAT? The all American made motorcycle? I'm shocked!

It goes both ways... Several months ago I needed to replace a bolt for the
seatbelt in my 1976 Rabbit. It's a German car, so I figured it was a metric
bolt. I tried every available metric thread pitch, but nothing fit right.
On a whim I tried a fine thread imperial bolt and it threaded in perfectly!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/13/2016 11:07 PM, HerHusband wrote:
It goes both ways... Several months ago I needed to replace a bolt for the
seatbelt in my 1976 Rabbit. It's a German car, so I figured it was a metric
bolt. I tried every available metric thread pitch, but nothing fit right.
On a whim I tried a fine thread imperial bolt and it threaded in perfectly!

BSF? I didn't think that stuff fit anything. In youthful ignorance I got
involved with British cars and remember the joys of Whitworth.

metric v modular building block sizes? jim UK diy 5 March 24th 10 09:16 PM
Metric sizes Novice Metalworking 5 December 22nd 08 12:58 PM
Where can I buy Metric Sizes Dowel Rod? Tom Watson Woodworking 24 October 19th 04 03:06 PM
Socket Drive Sizes - Metric yet? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 6 September 19th 04 07:58 AM