Posted to rec.woodworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Review, Harbor Freight Oscillating Multifunction Tool

On Nov 7, 8:17*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Finally had an occasion to use my oscillating tool. *Cutting 8"x16"
holes on the underside of my eaves to create ventilation. *36 total!
3/8 inch plywood boxed eaves. *Considered skill saw, saber saw, roto-
zip and oscillating tool.
Note: *This is all overhead work, approximately 8-11 feet off ground.

Skill saw: *While I do own a portable model, I considered it to be too
dangerous to be used upside down and overhead. *Also if I make a
template, I could use it only to trace with a pencil and not trace
with the saw. *I'd probably end up cutting it to shreds in no time.

Saber saw: *This would require starting holes in the corners or some
clever plunge cuts. *Template could be made to compensate for the shoe
width. *Tried this and found it to be heavy and difficult especially
when coming across a rafter. *Depth of cut can not be adjusted other
than by cutting off part of the blade.

Roto-Zip: *This tool worked nicely. *Template has to be made larger
due to the with of the shoe (base). *Very agressive, hard to control
overhead and LOTS of sawdust.

Multifunction: *(MF) THIS WAS THE WINNER!!! *Fairly light weight.
Template (Masonite hardboard) with inside cutout exactly 8"x16".
Plunge cut no problem. *Used the half-moon "Wood & Drywall" cutter.
Easy to follow template. *WILL NOT CUT INTO TEMPLATE, except at the
ends. *Method used: *Template tucked up against facia board. *This
offsets the cut-out 4 inches from the board. *Template screwed to eave
facing with two diagonally placed drywall screws. *These screw holes
match the holes in the new grill covers. *MF tool traces lightly
around the cutout simply scoring at about 1/4 depth of th plywood. *MF
tool stops about 1/2 inch short of the corners. *Template is removed.
MF tool finishes the cuts at full depth and out to the corners. *Grill
is screwed onto the hole (6 screws total) with two of the screws
falling into the existing holes used in the template. *Instead of
working from a ladder, I welded a removable hand-rail unto my Kubota
tractor and stood in the bucket with all the tools. *Simply drive from
location to location and adjusted the height accordingly.

TOOL PERFORMANCE: *Loud, but performed very well. *I did 14 holes by
the time the blade wore out. *Not bad, considering that it's 48 inches
of cut per hole, for a total of 672 inches, or 56 feet. *This would be
equivalent to undercutting about 100± door jambs!! *Extremely safe.

QUESTION: *The teeth on the cutter don't have any 'set'. *Would this
work better with 'set' teeth? *Is 'set' simply to allow saw dust to
get out of the way? *Of course, having no 'set' is probably the reason
that the tool does not 'grab' and cut into the template as you slide
it along.

Ivan Vegvary

Forgot the link. Sorry.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html