Posted to rec.woodworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Review, Harbor Freight Oscillating Multifunction Tool

Finally had an occasion to use my oscillating tool. Cutting 8"x16"
holes on the underside of my eaves to create ventilation. 36 total!
3/8 inch plywood boxed eaves. Considered skill saw, saber saw, roto-
zip and oscillating tool.
Note: This is all overhead work, approximately 8-11 feet off ground.

Skill saw: While I do own a portable model, I considered it to be too
dangerous to be used upside down and overhead. Also if I make a
template, I could use it only to trace with a pencil and not trace
with the saw. I'd probably end up cutting it to shreds in no time.

Saber saw: This would require starting holes in the corners or some
clever plunge cuts. Template could be made to compensate for the shoe
width. Tried this and found it to be heavy and difficult especially
when coming across a rafter. Depth of cut can not be adjusted other
than by cutting off part of the blade.

Roto-Zip: This tool worked nicely. Template has to be made larger
due to the with of the shoe (base). Very agressive, hard to control
overhead and LOTS of sawdust.

Multifunction: (MF) THIS WAS THE WINNER!!! Fairly light weight.
Template (Masonite hardboard) with inside cutout exactly 8"x16".
Plunge cut no problem. Used the half-moon "Wood & Drywall" cutter.
Easy to follow template. WILL NOT CUT INTO TEMPLATE, except at the
ends. Method used: Template tucked up against facia board. This
offsets the cut-out 4 inches from the board. Template screwed to eave
facing with two diagonally placed drywall screws. These screw holes
match the holes in the new grill covers. MF tool traces lightly
around the cutout simply scoring at about 1/4 depth of th plywood. MF
tool stops about 1/2 inch short of the corners. Template is removed.
MF tool finishes the cuts at full depth and out to the corners. Grill
is screwed onto the hole (6 screws total) with two of the screws
falling into the existing holes used in the template. Instead of
working from a ladder, I welded a removable hand-rail unto my Kubota
tractor and stood in the bucket with all the tools. Simply drive from
location to location and adjusted the height accordingly.

TOOL PERFORMANCE: Loud, but performed very well. I did 14 holes by
the time the blade wore out. Not bad, considering that it's 48 inches
of cut per hole, for a total of 672 inches, or 56 feet. This would be
equivalent to undercutting about 100± door jambs!! Extremely safe.

QUESTION: The teeth on the cutter don't have any 'set'. Would this
work better with 'set' teeth? Is 'set' simply to allow saw dust to
get out of the way? Of course, having no 'set' is probably the reason
that the tool does not 'grab' and cut into the template as you slide
it along.

Ivan Vegvary