Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default How often to change oil in compressor?

"blueman" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" writes:
"Angello Huong" wrote

Anyone here knows whether using synthetic oil would be better or
worse than the normal oil on an air compressor?

Angello

I went to several auto part stores and the only synthetic they had in 30
weight was detergent and I need non-detergent. (I actually once
mistakenly briefly used an oil with detergent, and the check window got
all bubbly...)

The auto-techs said all the new automotive oils have detergents for
regulatory/standards reasons. But that plain (non-synthetic) 30 weight
is still made also without detergents for older engines.

Perhaps they are wrong or perhaps you can get synthetic 30 weight
without detergent in a compressor parts store... But I would be
interested if anybody has found a source of synthetic 30 weight oil
without detergent.

In the past, a Non-detergent oil had a ND designation adjacent to the
viscosity weight rating.