Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On 11/06/2010 08:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

The term "structured wiring" may well have historical origins, perhaps
from the term "structured cabling". My use of it is in reference to
residential implementations, and searching the web, most every hit
also is in reference to residential use.

That's precisely the problem with terms like this - they take on new
meanings over time. And... old farts (you calling me an old fart?....) tend
to not always notice the evolution.

I'm partially fossilized myself...

I do know that wifi currently is incapable of streaming 1080 HDTV and
is unlikely to for several years. It will probably not reach gigabit
bandwidth in our lifetimes, but cat5/cat6 can do those speeds now and
the wire can be used for many things besides ethernet.

And of course - your point serves well to point out that you're interested
in different applications than I even considered. My bad.

As Rosanna Rosanadana said - "It's always sumthin".

I wouldn't buy/build a house today without "structured wiring"
including multiple catX and RG6/U.

I'd really have to think through what kind of wiring I wanted in a new house
today. I've got so much unused wiring in my house (stuff that has been
displaced by technology), that I'd have to fight the battle of coming up to
speed. Hats off to guys like you who are staying current on things.

It's not so much staying current as reflecting back on all the times
I've thought "I wish I'd thought to..."

For example if I were building today, in addition to all the star
topology of distribution feeds including security wiring, I would add:

power at the CWP (central wiring panel) for all the modems/routers/etc.

RG6/U and catX from the CWP to the phone/cable demarc (some folks want
at least fax capability even if they use cordless).

4 RG6/U from the CWP to a southern roof location for satellite.

RG6/U and power and maybe catx to any potential security cam locations.

Not too mention the post that suggested plastic conduit to aid in any
future changes/upgrades.

And after doing all that, something would come along to make me say
"damn, I should have...".