Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

On Nov 6, 3:42*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

No. Whitworth was used on buildings and heavy engineering once upon a
time.
British Standard Fine and Across Flats on cars and bikes in days of
yore. All metric now.

Whitworth made the first interchangeable and scientifically designed
nuts and bolts, also invented other engineering techniques we take for
granted today, also machinery, guns and artillery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Whitworth