Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On 11/6/2010 11:32 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:15 am, wrote:
On 11/5/2010 1:18 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I've never seen one which wasn't tied down with thick steel to the
foundation, and most of those I've seen were steel or aluminum.

Take a look at the pictures again and you should see that the sill
plates are bolted to the foundation every 48" ...

They look closer than that, and I've never seen an aluminum structural
tie down of any sort. Galvanized is the de facto standard. I also
don't know what the "thick steel" means. The straps are what?, 1/16"
thick, unless you're talking seismic, and I don't think Leon has much
worry there.

You're correct, most Engineering/Structural plans call for specific
Simpson ties and straps and those do vary in thickness according to
spec. It really doesn't take much of strap/tie to add a remarkable
amount of shear resistance providing they are properly located, properly
nailed, and, of course, per Engineer specifications.

This isn't a big deal, Larry, and I am not quite sure why you're
sticking to your guns, when your guns have little ammunition in this
instance, and it's essentially ****ing on Leon's shoes. He has bigger
things to worry about, such as how can he annex the first floor of the
house to increase the size of his shop...before his wife gets the same
idea about her need to expand her activity area and annexes the
Sudetenland.

I would be very surprised if there was no strapping at all going in
Leon's house prior to the framing inspection, and the plumbing,
electrical and mechanical rough-in.

He should find out on Monday because I think that have a pre-insulation
walk-through, and I can almost guarantee that it will be in evidence of
same at that time ... then again, I don't build in this particular
jurisdiction and I'm not a tract home builder.

(His builder has an excellent reputation, and from what I've when I've
accompanied him and his wife (as their deaf, dumb and blind, Coonass
cousin), they have absolutely nothing to be afraid of, and everything to
be proud of)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010