Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default File coarseness

On 2010-11-05, Doug White wrote:

[ ... ]

Rule #1: Get good ones. Nicholson & Simonds are pretty good, Grobet is
better. Grobet also makes really nice handles that screw on & don't come
off (or loose).

I use 3 files more than any others by an order of magnitude:

#1 A fine 4" pointed half round file for knocking burrs off of stuff.

I tend to use the Shaviv replaceable blade deburring tools for
most of that kind of work. Three kinds:

1) The standard hook blade to deburr a single edge.

2) The steeper hook, to deburr both sides of sheet metal.

3) The countersink in a ratchet for deburring single sided
holes.

*My* favorite files are "safe-edge" files. Cutting on the two
flat sides. Smooth on the two edges. (Since I more often use files for
squaring up the corners of a milled opening for mounting a switch or
meter in a rectangular hole. This lets me cut right up to the edge of
the hole without unintentionally widening the hole at the corner. A
safe side triangular file is useful at times too.

[ ... ]

And so far -- nobody has mentioned a "mill *******", which is
good for smoothing a finish on a lathe. It has grooves at a much
steeper angle, so the effect is closer to draw filing. Of course, make
*sure* to have a handle on it when you use it on a lathe. And be
careful of sleeves in chuck jaws. (I prefer to use collets when filing,
if I have some large enough.)

It's also good to have a set of Swiss needle files in a fine & medium
cut. Good sets are spendy, but will long out last the cheap ones. The
price difference can be close to an order of magnitude. McMaster carries
$140 sets & $20 sets. I'd look for something in between, or try to catch
a good sale. Also a medium cut 1/4" round "rat tail" file, and a similar
sized triangular file.

Yes. And (for some things) a set of diamond grit needle files.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564