Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

wrote in news:k739d6l649m6n61t2jkidgg0otqgvn71ec@
4ax.com:

On 2010-11-05, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

I know not what HD is, but Sears? I guess it's like food. Keep the
price the same and decrease the amount. OTOH, you get what you pay
for. Try a better brand, like K-D. I've yet to see any skipped sizes
in their line-up. I haven't needed to buy any new tools in a awhile,
so don't know who is currently screwing the customer.

I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size
fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the
other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.

nb

The only ones screwing the customer would be those supplying a 9mm
wrench in a kit, as NO 9mm nuts or bolt heads exist in any of the 3
(or 4 - 2 are the same ) metric standards.

I've seen other sets that include the 9 and are missing another, possibly
for the same reason.

In a european or american (ISO/ANSI) set, a 12mm might also be
missing, as it is only used in JIS standard. American (ANSI/ISO) sets
don't need a 17mm or a 19mm either., while JIS and DIN use both.
ISO/ANSI do not use 11MM either, while JIS does not use 11 or 18 0r
21.DIN doesn't use 21 either - and NOBODY uses 20 or 23, or 25.

As for standard vs metric, 8mm fits 5/16 reasonably close, 11mm fits
7/16", 13mm fits 1/2" 14mm fits 9/16, and 17mm fits 11/16

Not perfectly, but close enough if the fastener is not too tight and
you are in a pinch.

Not perfectly, but close enough

Which is exactly how this fella puts it.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/scie...conversion.htm