Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size
if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Depends what's missing, I suppose. I used to rarely find things that were
11mm. 8, 10 and 13mm were very common, and everything else somewhere
inbetween.

Personally I like having at least a couple of everything in a variety of
socket depths and drive sizes.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.
They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size
if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Does it not depend on market demand? If size 9 mm. nuts were
common we should expect 9 mm. wrenches to be proportionately common.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-05, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

I know not what HD is, but Sears? I guess it's like food. Keep the
price the same and decrease the amount. OTOH, you get what you pay
for. Try a better brand, like K-D. I've yet to see any skipped sizes
in their line-up. I haven't needed to buy any new tools in a awhile,
so don't know who is currently screwing the customer.

I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size
fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the
other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message ...
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets
With the missing MM having the same size in SAE
5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches
5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315
and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm.
but 10 mm is very common and is normally included

Spud
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

When's the last time you really needed a 9mm wrench? In the Ansi/ISO
standard there is only 7,8,10,13,16,18,21,24,and 30
The German (Predominantly) DIN standard has only
7,8,10,11,13,17,19,22,24,27, and 30mm
The Japanese (JIS) standard uses only 7,8,10,11,12,14,17,19,and 22.

Someplace someone has slipped in a 15mm, as it is included in some
metric tool sets - so why would you want a 9 mm wrench. It doesn't
even match up to a fractional size, falling between 3/32" and 23/64"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 4:56*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.
They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size
if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Does it not depend on market demand? * If size 9 mm. nuts were
common we should expect 9 mm. wrenches to be proportionately common.

Maybe he got it on sale. They bumped up the 9mm to 10mm at no extra
charge!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

When's the last time you really needed a 9mm wrench? In the Ansi/ISO
standard there is only 7,8,10,13,16,18,21,24,and 30
The German (Predominantly) DIN standard has only
7,8,10,11,13,17,19,22,24,27, and 30mm
The Japanese (JIS) standard uses only 7,8,10,11,12,14,17,19,and 22.

Someplace someone has slipped in a 15mm, as it is included in some
metric tool sets - so why would you want a 9 mm wrench. It doesn't
even match up to a fractional size, falling between 3/32" and 23/64"

Ummm, wouldn't that be the exact reason that you'd want a particular
size wrench? Nothing else fits!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size
if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Depends what's missing, I suppose. I used to rarely find things that were
11mm. 8, 10 and 13mm were very common, and everything else somewhere
inbetween.

Personally I like having at least a couple of everything in a variety of
socket depths and drive sizes.

cheers

Jules

15mm is used on bicycle wheels, never in metric sets. You have to go buy
it separately like many others.

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-05, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

I know not what HD is, but Sears? I guess it's like food. Keep the
price the same and decrease the amount. OTOH, you get what you pay
for. Try a better brand, like K-D. I've yet to see any skipped sizes
in their line-up. I haven't needed to buy any new tools in a awhile,
so don't know who is currently screwing the customer.

I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size
fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the
other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.

nb

The only ones screwing the customer would be those supplying a 9mm
wrench in a kit, as NO 9mm nuts or bolt heads exist in any of the 3
(or 4 - 2 are the same ) metric standards.

In a european or american (ISO/ANSI) set, a 12mm might also be
missing, as it is only used in JIS standard. American (ANSI/ISO) sets
don't need a 17mm or a 19mm either., while JIS and DIN use both.
ISO/ANSI do not use 11MM either, while JIS does not use 11 or 18 0r
21.DIN doesn't use 21 either - and NOBODY uses 20 or 23, or 25.

As for standard vs metric, 8mm fits 5/16 reasonably close, 11mm fits
7/16", 13mm fits 1/2" 14mm fits 9/16, and 17mm fits 11/16

Not perfectly, but close enough if the fastener is not too tight and
you are in a pinch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:33:37 -0400, "spud42"
wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message ...
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets
With the missing MM having the same size in SAE
5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches
5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315
and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm.
but 10 mm is very common and is normally included

Spud

3/8" and 10mm are not close enough to be useable. 11mm and 716" are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I find 10 MM is the ******* size. It's larger than 3/8, but smaller
than 7/16. Generally, I have not found an English wrench that will
work a 10 MM nut or bolt.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"spud42" wrote in message

"Red Green" wrote in message
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any
size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets
With the missing MM having the same size in SAE
5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches
5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315
and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm.
but 10 mm is very common and is normally included

Spud

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had to buy the separate 15 MM for vehicle work. Also 18 MM
(rather close to 11/16) for removing front wheel hubs on GM products.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT"
wrote in message ...

15mm is used on bicycle wheels, never in metric sets. You have to go
buy
it separately like many others.

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:k739d6l649m6n61t2jkidgg0otqgvn71ec@
4ax.com:

On 2010-11-05, Red Green wrote:
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

I know not what HD is, but Sears? I guess it's like food. Keep the
price the same and decrease the amount. OTOH, you get what you pay
for. Try a better brand, like K-D. I've yet to see any skipped sizes
in their line-up. I haven't needed to buy any new tools in a awhile,
so don't know who is currently screwing the customer.

I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size
fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the
other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.

nb

The only ones screwing the customer would be those supplying a 9mm
wrench in a kit, as NO 9mm nuts or bolt heads exist in any of the 3
(or 4 - 2 are the same ) metric standards.

I've seen other sets that include the 9 and are missing another, possibly
for the same reason.

In a european or american (ISO/ANSI) set, a 12mm might also be
missing, as it is only used in JIS standard. American (ANSI/ISO) sets
don't need a 17mm or a 19mm either., while JIS and DIN use both.
ISO/ANSI do not use 11MM either, while JIS does not use 11 or 18 0r
21.DIN doesn't use 21 either - and NOBODY uses 20 or 23, or 25.

As for standard vs metric, 8mm fits 5/16 reasonably close, 11mm fits
7/16", 13mm fits 1/2" 14mm fits 9/16, and 17mm fits 11/16

Not perfectly, but close enough if the fastener is not too tight and
you are in a pinch.

Not perfectly, but close enough

Which is exactly how this fella puts it.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/scie...conversion.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any
size

if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

When's the last time you really needed a 9mm wrench? In the Ansi/ISO
standard there is only 7,8,10,13,16,18,21,24,and 30
The German (Predominantly) DIN standard has only
7,8,10,11,13,17,19,22,24,27, and 30mm
The Japanese (JIS) standard uses only 7,8,10,11,12,14,17,19,and 22.

Someplace someone has slipped in a 15mm, as it is included in some
metric tool sets - so why would you want a 9 mm wrench. It doesn't
even match up to a fractional size, falling between 3/32" and 23/64"

Ummm, wouldn't that be the exact reason that you'd want a particular
size wrench? Nothing else fits!

There was a farmer who had a dog, And Bingo was his name-O. B-I-N-G-O! B-
I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Red Green" wrote in message ...
Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets
With the missing MM having the same size in SAE
5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches
5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315
and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm.
but 10 mm is very common and is normally included

Spud

3/8" and 10mm are not close enough to be useable. 11mm and 716" are.

Thats the one
I didn't get a 11mm
10mm is the one i always lose and your right 3/8 isn't close enough

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they
came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady
would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo.
The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"WW" wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they
came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady
would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo.
The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going to
sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great names
have been rejected on that count.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:09:51 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size
if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Depends what's missing, I suppose. I used to rarely find things that were
11mm. 8, 10 and 13mm were very common, and everything else somewhere
inbetween.

Personally I like having at least a couple of everything in a variety of
socket depths and drive sizes.

cheers

Jules

15mm is used on bicycle wheels, never in metric sets. You have to go buy
it separately like many others.

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

I have 15mm wrenches in several of my sets.
And yess, LOTS of nuts that are not SAE or Metric. Think BSF,
Whitworth, and Acme to start.
But when you are talking METRIC, they are, except for a very few
specialty apps, either ANSI/ISO, DIN, or JIS.

And the 15mm nuts on a bike - same size wrench required for the
pedals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:19:08 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've had to buy the separate 15 MM for vehicle work. Also 18 MM
(rather close to 11/16) for removing front wheel hubs on GM products.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

18mm is standard ANSI/ISO nut size. 15mm is not. What vehicle, and
where?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-05, wrote:

In a european or american (ISO/ANSI) set, a 12mm might also be
missing, as it is only used in JIS standard. American (ANSI/ISO) sets
don't need a 17mm or a 19mm either.

I don't know what reference library fantasyland YOU are living in, but
having used metric sized wrench sets professionally for about 35 yrs,
I can certainly attest to the fact that 9, 12, and 17mm fasterners do
indeed exist and are found on real actual mechanical devices requiring
said wrench sizes.

nb

Well, I've been working on Metric vehicles since 1969, and have never
required a 9mm wrench that I can remember. I DO have a couple totally
pristine 9mm sockets though.
There are some 9mm 12 point fasteners I believe also on VW clutches -
you use a special VW service tool to service the pressure plate.-
again, a special application where you would/should not use a
combination wrench - and the open end part would definitely not fit.
That's automotive/industrial
And I've worked on British, German, French, Italian, American,
Russian,French, Korean, Mexican, Canadian, as well as a few other,
vehicles.

I think I heard the float needle seat on some itallian motorcycles
are 9mm HEX - requiring a thinwall 9mm scoket to take them out - but a
9mm open end, box end, or combination wrench wouldn't do that job
either. Mabee brake bleeder screws - (Honda Motorcycles?) you could
use a combi wrench there

Now on BICYCLES, that's a different story.- like I said - special apps
- non standard. Wacky non-standard thread pitches, particularly on
Italian stuff.
And Chinese?????? a 9mm wrench might fit something that was SUPPOSED
to be either 8 or 10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote

I do know one thing. Almost all metric sizes will fit any SAE size
fastener, although perhaps a bit loose or tight. I doesn't work the
other way around. If you can only afford one std, get metric.

nb

11/16 works well on a 17mm nut. Over time though, any wrench used on the
wrong size will eventually damage the nut or bolt head. OK in an emergency,
but only a hack would do it on a regular basis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
3/8" and 10mm are not close enough to be useable. 11mm and 716" are.

Two of my setup guys thought that too. After rounding off too many flange
nuts I found out what they were doing and a lot of aggravation was saved in
the long run. Better to buy one socket $10 than to change dozens of $4
nuts

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've had to buy the separate 15 MM for vehicle work. Also 18 MM
(rather close to 11/16) for removing front wheel hubs on GM products.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

18mm is standard ANSI/ISO nut size. 15mm is not. What vehicle, and
where?

15mm is not a common standard nut or bolt hex size, but it will sometimes
be used for a flange nut or flanged hex head bolt. I don't recall right
now if I've seen it used for a plain hex nut or bolt, but the size
is definitely used on many vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

9mm wrenches -
Also used by FORD on crash-pad nuts and by VW on clutch bleader screws
- so I stand corrected - there are a few (not specifically "special
app") automotive applications - but they do NOT conform to ANSI/ISO,
which most american industries (as well as the French) use as their
spec, or DIN, which is German, or JIS which is Japanese.

Is there another Metric standard incommon use???
Posted to alt.home.repair

8,10,12 and 14mm are common on Japanese motorcycles. Most odd metric
sizes are not uncommon either.
I don't recall EVER running across a 9mm bolt anywhere, but I could be
wrong.

On the other hand I have a cheap socket set that not only has 9mm, but
4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and I think 7.5... They're a waste of space for the most
part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 6:09 PM, LSMFT wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:32:22 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size
if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

Depends what's missing, I suppose. I used to rarely find things that were
11mm. 8, 10 and 13mm were very common, and everything else somewhere
inbetween.

Personally I like having at least a couple of everything in a variety of
socket depths and drive sizes.

cheers

Jules

15mm is used on bicycle wheels, never in metric sets. You have to go buy
it separately like many others.

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

British Standard Whitworth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

Found on some older English motorcycles.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 8:49 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In om,
wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how they
came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when the lady
would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering Bingo Bingo Bingo.
The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going to
sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great names
have been rejected on that count.

I knew a couple of girls who owned a dog named Dammit. Come here Dammit!
Get down Dammit! Stop licking me Dammit! The last one was yelled at me
too. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2010 11:20 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:
8,10,12 and 14mm are common on Japanese motorcycles. Most odd metric
sizes are not uncommon either.
I don't recall EVER running across a 9mm bolt anywhere, but I could be
wrong.

On the other hand I have a cheap socket set that not only has 9mm, but
4.5, 5.5, 6.5 and I think 7.5... They're a waste of space for the most
part.

You might come across those odd metric sizes in imported electrical and
electronic items. I see odd sizes in tape players, VCR's and other types
of electromechanical gadgets.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 23:42:51 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"LSMFT" wrote

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

Remember Norton motorcycles? My brother had one in the 70's. My son
and I were just talking about metric/sae & I seem to recall the Norton
was some ******* type, too-- neither set of wrenches fit them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

spud42 wrote the following:
"Red Green" wrote in message ...

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any size if
it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

I've only seen this in combo MM, SAE sets
With the missing MM having the same size in SAE
5/32 is 0.156 inches; 4mm is 0.157 inches
5/16 is 0.313 inches. 8 mm, is 0.315
and The 3/8 wrench is the same as 10 mm.
but 10 mm is very common and is normally included

Spud

There is another consideration. Not all tool manufacturers make precise
tools unless they are a specialty tool company. That includes metric or
SAE. One of my 14mm open end wrenches from one company is 14.5mm, and
one from another company is 14.25mm. If you have a pair of inside
calipers, and more than one brand of wrenches, check it yourself.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:Q5mdnaUaG-
:

"LSMFT" wrote

Did you ever find a nut that was neither metric nor SAE? I have.

Triumph motorcycle, as are many British cars. Whitworth.

I learned about Whitworth many decades ago on my Bonneville.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
"WW" wrote:

There was an old couple we knew and had a dog named Bing. I asked how
they came up with that name. Well the real name was Bingo but when
the lady would go out at night to call the dog she was hollering
Bingo Bingo Bingo. The neighbors thought she was wacky SO that is
how the name Bing arrived. WW

Every time I name a cat, I think long and hard about how it's going to
sound to the neighbors when I go out to call him. Otherwise great
names have been rejected on that count.

A few years abck when I lived in the land Ft Bragg in FayetteNam I got a
cat and thought it would be cool to name it Sniper. As you say, going out
calling Sniper Sniper was a bad idea.

So I figure just give her a neutral name and call her Little Girl. Being in
the over 50 age range, going outside and calling "Here Little Girl, Come
here Little Girl." also turned out to be a bad idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-06, Smitty Two wrote:

from Sears 37 years ago includes 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, and 19. They
all have grease in them, so I guess I've used them all.

You'll get no argument from me.

nb

metric v modular building block sizes? jim UK diy 5 March 24th 10 09:16 PM
Metric sizes Novice Metalworking 5 December 22nd 08 12:58 PM
Where can I buy Metric Sizes Dowel Rod? Tom Watson Woodworking 24 October 19th 04 03:06 PM
Socket Drive Sizes - Metric yet? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 6 September 19th 04 07:58 AM