Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:55:42 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:23:26 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!

Jeeze, what is that, 3,000 s/f? Looks big.

2257 + approx 600 garage

Perfectly insulated, I hope. Big!

Better than Energy Star rated.

Excellent.

--snip--
Houston is in a very unique location along the gulf coast, It is a rare
event to have a hurricane strike directly and or get much wind if any from a
close hitting storm. Five years ago about a month after Katrina hurricane
Rita was aimed for Houston and there was a mass exodus. The storm ended up
hitting about 60-80 miles to our east and IIRC it only got a little windy,
it was basically a non event.

That's good...for you, but not the inline folks.

I grew up in Corpus Christi, about 200 miles south and literally on the
water. While I lived there and during the period from 1962 to 1971 I went
through 3 major hurricanes. Only 1 of those storms was a direct hit, the
other two were at least 100 miles away and those storms delt a major blow in
Corpus Christi. I think because Houston is inland about 60 miles and is
sort of in a bend along the coast line the winds deminish quite rapidly when
the storms hit land.

Yeah, I forgot about that. It's just a few miles which take the wind
out of a hurricane's sails, isn't it?

Good, but I'd have spent the extra few hundred to tie that puppy down
were it my new pride and joy. YMOV

You have to draw the line some where and those things don't help when a
tornato hits the house. Typically most damage during a hurricane is not
caused directly by the hurricane winds rather from the debris that is flying
arouned and as swingman will attest to, rising water is the biggest threat.
Again hurricane straps don't help in that instance. Additionally hurricanes
in this region typically spawn multiple tornatos and again the straps are
not going to do much good against those winds and or micro bursts. If I
lived closer to he water, I would opt for the straps.

Gotcha. Hey, structured wiring is a great tradeoff if you're not in a
windy corridor. Enjoy it!

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that
we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how