Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default New House/Shop becoming a reality

On 11/05/2010 12:36 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 11/05/2010 09:48 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Suggestion: structured wiring.

http://www.swhowto.com/

Structured wiring has a different definition than what he states on
his web site Doug. Structured wiring has been around a long time,
and it's more about standardizing color assignments, than it is
about simply combining all the wiring in your house and treating it
as one wiring system. In fact, that definition could be said to
stand in conflict with the principles of a structured wiring scheme.
That said - he's got some good ideas and his intent is well based.

I'd forgo the now outdated runs of CAT-anything and go wireless for
internet stuff. I have structured phone wiring in my house with a
split 60 in the basement, and while it was reasonably professional
when it was installed, it's almost useless now, since we've gone so
much to wireless phones. Likewise with all the CAT-5E I installed
for the computers. I think I might have 2 jacks in use today. Oh
well - it was good at the time, but there are better ways today.

Structured wiring will benefit everyone though in that it enforces
disciplines that pay off. Concepts like home runs, color
assignments, etc. that will facilitate troubleshooting later on down
the road, and will pay off with lessend issues of signal loss,
crosstalk, etc. So - I fundamentally agree with your post, but of course,
I can't
let that stand in the way of a little disagreement...

I disagree. Structured wiring is all about combining all non AC power
into a central wiring panel and distribution using a star topology.
Naturally, observing color code standards is a given. It is also an
attempt to future-proof a building.

CAT5/CAT6 can be used for many things other than ethernet - such as
hdmi over cat5.

http://www.structuredhomewiring.com/

Structured wiring is about much more than home wiring. The term has been
migrated over to home wiring so I'll give you that your point is valid
within a context, but that's not what structured wiring is. Any further
argument over it would be not worth the effort though, so we don't need to.
I don't suggest that there is no need for CAT-XX, just pointed out that
already, recent technologies are quickly being displaced.

The term "structured wiring" may well have historical origins, perhaps
from the term "structured cabling". My use of it is in reference to
residential implementations, and searching the web, most every hit also
is in reference to residential use.

I do know that wifi currently is incapable of streaming 1080 HDTV and is
unlikely to for several years. It will probably not reach gigabit
bandwidth in our lifetimes, but cat5/cat6 can do those speeds now and
the wire can be used for many things besides ethernet.

I wouldn't buy/build a house today without "structured wiring" including
multiple catX and RG6/U.