Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buddy Beavers Buddy Beavers is offline

Default which .45 cal?

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 2010-11-05, Tom Gardnerat@at wrote:

wrote in message
What brand/model reasonably priced Colt .45 style pistol would you
recommend? Good quality of course. My nephew is starting his research
into them and wants some suggestions.
Thanhks
Karl

What's the budget? Spend that...and just a bit more. What's the
application? Does he reload? In general, you get what you pay for,
unless
you get ripped-off or fall into a spectacular deal. You probably won't
get
away for less than $600 used. BUT, 1911s are the best platform ever!
.45
ACP costs me less than 3 cents each to reload, more accurate than I am,
low-pressure, forgiving cartridge, gentile recoil and just "feels"
right.
The only downside is the low-capacity magazines.

Do you know that a typical 9mm bullet has 90% of the energy of a .45
ACP bullet?

It's also much easier to shoot accurately, faster, and almost all 9mms
hold a lot of rounds these days. The Springfield XDs are real nice. You
can't go wrong with one of them. The design is a lot more modern too and
they are nearly indestructible. If you're set on a 1911 pattern gun
Springfield is about as good as they come too.

I love my XD-9, but now that the XD now comes in 45 ACP, you can have the
best of both worlds. No brainer.